Thread: Eager to Learn Spotlight Image Gary Ellwein for the week ending Mar. 2nd, 2012 - Sage Grouse In Winter

Threaded View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eager to Learn Spotlight Image Gary Ellwein for the week ending Mar. 2nd, 2012 - Sage Grouse In Winter

Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations Gary!!!

I encountered 25 - 30 of these birds on a recent trip over the mountain to Jackson, Wyoming. I have not seen more than a few scattered birds in a long time. They are in decline over most of the west due to habitat loss. The image was taken late in the afternoon on a heavy overcast day with intermittant snow. The birds did not flush as long as I stayed in the truck. The trick was finding a subject that would give something other than a butt shot. This guy was my star. The birds were feeding continuously on the tops of sage brush poking out of the snow. Nikon D7000, Nikkor 600mm, f5.6, 1/000, iso 640, manual, bean bag on truck door. The original was under exposed 2/3s stop. PP consisted of a little dodging, eliminating a blue cclor cast and usm. AS always C & C appreciated.

Gary