Thread: Courtship Display

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Courtship Display

Attached Images Attached Images

This Great Egret courtship display was created last February at the Venice Florida Audubon Rookery. Using a Canon 20D and Canon EF 500 IS lens, the settings were 1/500th @ F5.6 at ISO 200 with an exposure compensation of minus .33.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John.....

Love the deep green background and the birds pose.

I would have tried to make the subject a bit more right of center, but perhaps you didn't have more canvas available on the left side?

Jasper Doest

Besides I'd like to see a bit more space at the bottom, and the fact that the OOF vegetation in the lower left corner is slightly distracting I love everything about this one. The contrast of the white against the deep green, combined with the awesome pose makes this photograph for me. One tiny nit would be the bill of the bird touching the vegetation, just a minor thing though. Excellent work.

Alfred Forns

Agree with previous You sure got a smoking bird and great light !!!! Big Congrats !!! btw this year I have only seen GBH nesting !!!

Axel Hildebrandt

Excellent pose and setting. The whites could be toned down a little more. I find the bird a bit centered and too bad there is no separation between the tip of the bill and the leaves behind him. But those are minor, I like the image a lot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great bird with full breeding plumage and you captured him in the middle of a head throw. I like the white bird against the dark green bg. I would have wished for more seperation from the bg, but sometimes you just have to take what you get. Very nice!
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful pose. Love the white bird against the lush green. Might like the bird a little more to the right. Maybe a little SH adjustment to bring more detail into the white. Very cool!

Maxis Gamez

Hi John,

A very nice pose and details. You did well with the exposure, However I have to agree about the vegetation in the background. I love the pose for sure!

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose and great colors!!!