Thread: How To Use Lightroom

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Question How To Use Lightroom

I just started to use Lightroom a little while ago (3.6).

Can anybody recommend any books or links that might help
    me get more out of LR and everything it has to offer, especially
    from a bird photographer's point of view?

Thanks
    Doug

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I thought the Scott Kelby book was helpful. Lots of good tips to put to immediate use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you are like me - too lazy to plough through a weighty manual - you might find it useful to subscribe to the Kelby Training videos (www.kelbytraining.com). There is a lot there on Lightroom - like 4 x 1.5 hour training sessions, plus a whole bunch of stuff on the new LR 4 and Photoshop and lots more. A year's subscription is under $200 and works out good value in my opinion.

Gerald

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another option, which I use for LR and CS5, is lynda.com . I think you can get an introductory trial (and you can use any of the videos during that time) for free to see if you like it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, I'll check everything out.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lightroom forums is a great place to ask questions, and search for those already asked.

http://www.lightroomforums.net/

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Definitely upgrade to Version 4; it is a light year leap.

Kelby's LR4 available digitally is an excellent book to go through very slowly and do all of the exercises too.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've been very disappointed in Lightroom 4. I definitely like some of the new features like local adjustments, but the I find the recalibrating of the exposure controls, doesn't suit me, and it is dog slow compared to version 3. Version 3 had the snappy: you pressed a key and whatever you asked for happened. On the same hardware, version 4 waits for a couple of second son almost every operation. E.g. I press R and 3 or 4 seconds later the crop tool shows up. I press the right arrow and the picture previews very slowly, and it still isn't done when the progress indicator finishes. It's several seconds more before I see the final sharp image. Very disappointing. :-(

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold View Post
    I've been very disappointed in Lightroom 4. I definitely like some of the new features like local adjustments, but the I find the recalibrating of the exposure controls, doesn't suit me, and it is dog slow compared to version 3. Version 3 had the snappy: you pressed a key and whatever you asked for happened. On the same hardware, version 4 waits for a couple of second son almost every operation. E.g. I press R and 3 or 4 seconds later the crop tool shows up. I press the right arrow and the picture previews very slowly, and it still isn't done when the progress indicator finishes. It's several seconds more before I see the final sharp image. Very disappointing. :-(
    Mine is instantaneous! What are your computer specs?
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've got beefy enough hardware that it really shouldn't be struggling and as I said, Lightroom 3 performed just fine on these same systems. I notice the slowness on both my MacBook Pro 17" (SSD + 8GB RAM) and on my Mac Pro (3.33 GHz, 6-core, 12 GB RAM, SSD + RAID). Either should be well more than enough for Lightroom.