Thread: Cant get type to show in CS5

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cant get type to show in CS5

To my knowledge, I have changed nothing in my processing routine. A week ago, when I attempted to enter my "signature" on my resized PSD prior to saving for the web, it would not type visibly on the image (but showed the typed text in the layer window). No matter whether I changed the font, changed it to color black, made it 10pt or 72 point it would not show. All layers were flattened. After 2 days of experimentation with no solution, I uninstalled PS and all related files, and then reinstalled it. Eureka! it worked as it always had. Yesterday, I used a variety of fonts, sizes, and colors with no difficulty. Today, it refuses to work again.

Has anybody encountered this before? What do you suggest as a solution? Thank you to anybody who can help!

Glen Fox

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Fox View Post
    To my knowledge, I have changed nothing in my processing routine. A week ago, when I attempted to enter my "signature" on my resized PSD prior to saving for the web, it would not type visibly on the image (but showed the typed text in the layer window). No matter whether I changed the font, changed it to color black, made it 10pt or 72 point it would not show. All layers were flattened. After 2 days of experimentation with no solution, I uninstalled PS and all related files, and then reinstalled it. Eureka! it worked as it always had. Yesterday, I used a variety of fonts, sizes, and colors with no difficulty. Today, it refuses to work again.

Has anybody encountered this before? What do you suggest as a solution? Thank you to anybody who can help!

Glen Fox
    Hi Glen,

This is a new one on me. Some questions.
    PC, Mac, or?
    What is the image type (RGB, CMYK, LAB, indexed color,...)
    8, 16, 32 bit?
    Color space?
    other settings?

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for replying Roger. Your questions forced me to compare the image on which the type tool worked so well vs the most recent image which failed. I running CS5 on a MacBook Pro. Both images captured on 1DMk4 in RAW, converted in ACR to TIFF, cropped and adjusted (NIK Color Effecs Pro and Topaz InFocus), Flattened, Saved as PSD and resized to 1024x80 . So both images now 6.4 MB RGB /16*. The difference between the 2 images is the successful image res is 300 ppi, the unsuccessful 2 ppi! How it got to that low res, I'm not sure, but it maybe the very low res that is the problem.

Glen

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger, The resolution is definitely the problem. I will have to be careful when downsizing to make sure that the resolution setting is still 300 dpi. Having reprocessed one of the "problematic" images this morning, using the identical workflow, and downsizing at 300 dpi, has resulted in conditions that permit me to use the type tool as usual. Thank you again for asking a simple question that made me look where I would not have looked otherwise.

Glen Fox