Thread: Central Florida in June

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Central Florida in June

I'm attending a conference in Orlando for a week beginning June 11th. I'll have 3 full days days prior to that to go and take some bird photographs. I would appreciate some advice on where to go. Fort De Soto? St Augustine? Any suggestions will be welcome.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think I would consider Gatorland for at least a day, preferably an overcast day. You can get a one day photo pass for under $30 and get early and late entry. You may also wish to consider the Alligator Farm. THere are a lot of birds there but they are having issues with their vegetation which is not as nice as normal, so I think I would stick with Gatorland since you will be in the vicinity anyway. You may wish to consider a trip to Ft DeSoto but not sure how much action there will be there until the time grows closer.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marina,

Do you know if the Black Skimmer Chicks have hatched yet on the West Coast? I saw them last year at about this time...
    Are there any others spots you would recommend in the Clearwater/Tampa bay area?

Thanks. Any info is appreciated.

M
    Last edited by Marina Scarr; 05-13-2012 at 08:48 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the advice Marina. It's much appreciated.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you were thinking of the Viera Wetlands for tomorrow,Sunday June 10, check the Road Hotline at 321-255-4488.

We have had a lot of rain the last few days and as of today, Saturday 6/9, the wetlands are closed to cars. You will have to walk it. If I had to guess I would think they will be closed Sunday too.

Hope you enjoyed the Gatorland birds.