Thread: LR3 Catalog To LR3 Catalog Transfer

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default LR3 Catalog To LR3 Catalog Transfer

I was thinking a buying a small HP laptop for travel. I would install LR3 and check photos and do initial edits. When home I would then transfer to home laptop via a USB/USB cable. It seems reasonable to me but..? In particular I was wondering about moving from catalog to catalog. Anyone have any comments?

Thanks

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dave
    What I do is write all changes to an XMP file.
    To do this go to in LR3:
    Edit > Catalog Setting and check Automatically write changes into XMP.
    All you have to do then is transfer all your images along with the XMP files to your main computer and then import your images as you normally do in LR3. All the ratings, keywording and adjusts will be transferred along with the XMP file so you will see everything you did to the images on you laptop now appear on your main computer. An added beneifit is that should something happen to your catalog you can re-create it exactly as long as you have an XMP file for every image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I use a notebook in the field, do some edits but mostly am creating a backup and segregating keepers . I then export as a catalog.....Once moved, I then import the catalog into my main catalog.....works well except for LR4.1 RC and RC2. For some reason, I along with several other folks per the adobe forum are experiencing Lightroom crashing during imports and exports. I am sure that will be corrected as I used the export/import as far back as LR2

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Guys. It is probably something done every day by lots of people, but I wanted to ask anyway. The small laptop makes so much more sense than buying a bunch of cards. Although there are probably good reasons for having both cards and a laptop back up.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

When I travel, I take an external 1tb WD Passport as recommended by Robert Otoole. Very small and convenient. I also have a Hyperdrive that I take to backup cards when I don't take the notebook and the 1tb passport. On my recent Alaska Eagle trip with Robert, I used them all as the shooting was incredible each and every session

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The solution I use is an external USB 3.0 hard drive. I keep my catalog there whatever using the desktop or the notebook. So I don't have to export/import.

When traveling I download the photos to the hard disk and import in LR catalog.
    When home, I just copy the files to my local drive and when I open the catalaog (always at the USB3.0 hard disk) I just tell LR that that folder has a new location (my local desktop HD).
    I also keep a backup of this local HD on 2 external HDs (at home and at work).

In short:
    USB 3.0 HD - LR catalog, previews ( I can always check which photo it is and edit metadata) ;
    home desktop HD (7200rpm) - photo files ;
    external HDs (7200rpm) - backups (at least !) @ home, @ work

A better solution would be a SSD as your catalog drive but too expensive to keep all the previews in it. But If I were a pro, this would be my way to go.

Hope this helps.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the idea of taking an external HD as well. I have an older one I use at home for back up and probably time to upgrade.

I had a Hyperdrive once. I took it to Italy and used it on the highest speed setting. I did not quite understand the concept of verify and got home with several hundred corrupted files and memories. Nothing was recoverable.

I am sure glad I asked the question because i think I will have a good and lasting solution now.

Thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Leroy View Post
    I like the idea of taking an external HD as well. I have an older one I use at home for back up and probably time to upgrade.

I had a Hyperdrive once. I took it to Italy and used it on the highest speed setting. I did not quite understand the concept of verify and got home with several hundred corrupted files and memories. Nothing was recoverable.

I am sure glad I asked the question because i think I will have a good and lasting solution now.

Thanks.
    A buddy of mine on the shoot in Alaska filled up his Laptop and had to buy an external drive up there....He found one but it was old technology...He nevertheless was glad....the WD passports are awesome from MPV.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I always take enough cards to never re-use any on a trip. That way, they also form another backup, even after downloading to a laptop and/or USB drive. When I'm home and verified all data came off the cards fine and are backed up at least 2 times, then I'll re-use cards.

Cards are very low cost these days and going lower. I currently carry about 300 GBytes of CF on a big trip.

Roger

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree to take plenty of cards. I am now about where Roger is on total GB of card storage..10-32gb, 2-16 gb and 2-4gb...Some of the 32's are SD cards as the 5dIII uses them in addition to CF.

BHphoto just had a short sale on 32gb Sandisk 600x that had a huge discount off of normal price....I grabbed a bunch.....only place I ran out of card room was in Alaska with Robert Otoole. He told us to not be surprised to fill up a 32gb card in the morning and then again in the afternoon.....Even though I have filled a 32gb card in a day, never two in a day....we should have listened as everyone in the workshop was blowing through cards in both sessions.....Part of it was how Robert had us on birds.....the opportunities were simply amazing

Another tip someone gave me....I have a big number on back side of each card. I store the unused cards, number up. I use them pretty much in sequence. When filled I turn them label side up.....

And the multiple backups is an absolute imperative...I also make sure one backup is in my camera bag with me at all times ....plus the cards...the second backup, i have been putting in my luggage with no problem...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well cards are sort of cheap. I use San Disk 16g, 60mb/s. When I checked at the local store yesterday they were about $90. So for an eight day two camera trip, 7D and to be bought 5DMkiii, I would probably need to buy eight more cards plus the two I have and a couple 8g's. That might be tight if it gets exciting. So more cards would be $700 or more. It all starts to add up when a person only does a trip maybe every couple of years.

One advantage of cards is they don't need any extra electricity.

One more question about cataloging. When setting up LR on the Notebook is it advisable to set up the same Metadata info or wait until files are moved into main catalog?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Steve. I just saw your reply to Roger. I have until September so will start saving for cards.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well cards are sort of cheap. I use San Disk 16g, 60mb/s. When I checked at the local store yesterday they were about $90.
    You can get 2-pack of Lexar 32 GB 400x (60 MB/dec) for $210 at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...789+4294194739

That is about half the price you cite above.

I've been getting 90 mb/s 32 GB cards, but I don't see any 2-packs at B&H now (I recall paying around $200 per pair a few months ago). (I see the 600x 2-pack is discontinued after another search.)

Roger

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Roger. Definitely $420 is cheaper than $720. I see it is free shipping in US also. Odd thing about the Lexar's. It looks like two singles are less than one double.
    It pays to shop around. Local place had notebook for $480. Costco.ca was $420 and Costco store was $400.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good tips mentioned here.

I'm curious what type of travel Laptop can be used with LightRoom for under $500. I'd like to find one.

Also, Artie seems to recommend these cards, Delkin 32GB 700X CF Flash Card
    Adorama has them for $80 each.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think this is the US model # for the one I bought. HP Pavilion Dm1-4010us Notebook PC.

I bought this from the Costco store in Richmond BC. HP Pavilion DM1-4123ca
    Slightly different size of hardrives and ca model has both French and English otherwise the same.

I have loaded LR3 but have not used so I am assuming it will be fine for at least initial edits and storing files.

I have also thought more about taking extra cards as recommended by Roger and Steve. It would be pretty disappointing to be on a boat for 7 days with cards for two days and a broken computer. I will be taking enough cards.