Thread: Video Mic Question

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Video Mic Question

I am looking at improving the audio that I get from my videos on my 7D: the wind and camera vibration on the audio is terrible. I see from other threads that a couple of people use Røde videomic pros, but I was wondering whether anyone uses the pro stereo version. I am tempted by the thought of better ambient sound from this mic but am worried that it will collect too much general noise (particularly from birders standing nearby) to be useful. Any advice or opinions gratefully received.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSmith View Post
    I am looking at improving the audio that I get from my videos on my 7D: the wind and camera vibration on the audio is terrible. I see from other threads that a couple of people use Røde videomic pros, but I was wondering whether anyone uses the pro stereo version. I am tempted by the thought of better ambient sound from this mic but am worried that it will collect too much general noise (particularly from birders standing nearby) to be useful. Any advice or opinions gratefully received.
    I use the Rode videomic pro. Whatever you get, be sure the get the fuzzy cover to reduce wind issues.

In case someone has trouble finding the other thread, see:
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...-Pro-Questions

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Roger. Yes, I had seen that you used the videomic pro; how do you find it at cutting down extraneous noise?
    And yes, I will use a dead cat.
    Steve

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSmith View Post
    Thanks, Roger. Yes, I had seen that you used the videomic pro; how do you find it at cutting down extraneous noise?
    And yes, I will use a dead cat.
    Steve
    Hi Steve,
    The dead cat certainly helps, but I haven't done exhaustive tests with and without it to quantify anything.

I should add: I just leave the dead cat (perhaps should be called the fuzzy cat) on all the time.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Clark; 05-04-2012 at 10:24 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, from my experience, you need manual volume control to cut down on ambient noise (hiss). A condenser mic like the Rode in auto volume control will increase its sensitivity in a quiet surrounding because it thinks it should be picking up something, that's why you get the hiss. So you need manual volume control to reduce that. The 7D obviously doesn't have that, and the electronics on the mic input honestly aren't very good anyway IMO. You'll get much better sound by plugging the Rode in to a Zoom mic and using its manual level control to reduce hiss.

My disclaimer is that I do not use the Pro version, so I don't know if that has manual control or not.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I bought the pro stero version for my D800.

I do NOT do video normally, so take this with a grain of salt, but I really liked it. I like it mostly (in comparison to the other similar from Rode) because of its size and shape and appearance. And was hoping for some stereo separation. I got a dead cat with it, but haven't tried it.

It worked nicely with the D800, the gain setting gives some control, and the audio quality with it are MUCH better than without it. It seems well built, well suspended (for noise), and fits nicely in a lense size hole in my bag. But how it compares to the other models -- no idea. But I am quite happy.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the advice, all very helpful. I think I will go for the videomic pro rather than the stereo mic; sound isolation (from human noise) is more important than stereo ambiance in the sort of places I shoot.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was mistaken in my reply, I bought the Stereo Videomic Pro. The Pro version is the one that has a much smaller profile and (to me) looks better and fits better in my camera bag. The (non-pro) is older, longer, has more need for the dead kitten (due to the foam vs. mesh).

To me the smaller profile for a DSLR (that I didn't intend to outfit with lots of video gear) was a compelling reason.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you are not panning with a stereo mike, then it is fine. If you plan to place the mice on top of the camera, then better to use the Video Mic Pro.

To reduce wind noise, it is better to use the wind muff. I have found rycote products to be very good.

The 5D has manual volume control, so it works well. It can also be helpful if one can use mixers and route the microphone through it.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've recently started using the Rode Video Mic Pro for field work because it's smaller and mounts more easily on the cameras I'm using than my old Audio Technica AT-897.
    The sound quality is a small step down from the Audio Technica, but it's still quite good. There's a bit of hiss, but that's easily cleaned up in Audition or any given audio editor. I strongly recommend the deadcat if you're going to be using it outdoors.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Default PROAIM 12ft Carbon Fiber Boom Pole with 40cm R Microphone Blimp

Purchased Proaim 12 ft Boom Pole with a blimp from Proaimshoppe...Good in quality and prevented unwanted noises from entering into the videos.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I highly recommend the Rode Stereo Video Mic Pro and be sure to get and use the Dead Kitten.

Your wind noise will vanish, and the quality of your audio will soar.

I use it to record rock bands close to the stages, and it works like a charm.

It's a regular mount on both my Nikon and Sony NEX-7 cameras, though you need a flash adapter to use it on the Sony products.
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Lens