Thread: Image Resolution

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Image Resolution

Please help! I shot some senior portraits in raw, took to acr then to cs3 and converted to tiff. Converted the tiff to a jpg. I thought I was saving the jpg at 240 ppi. I have already given the cd to the customer and I just noticed that the jpg saved at 96 ppi. Is that going to affect image quality if they have prints made? Thanks in advance.

Jack

PS: I did not resize the images at all, only cropped if needed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm pretty sure it will Jack. At 96 dpi your image will be more or less 40" wide (depending on resolution of camera and your crop), and that is the size it will be printed at. You can imagine the prints will be very pixelated! Depending on the printer they may be able to intervene and change the dpi before printing and make your images fit on the chosen paper.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jack,
    Did you resize the image? If not, then the pixels are still there. The ppi is only a declaration for printing. If they take the image to a print shop and say they want an 8x10, then the printer will simply rescale the ppi value to fit the print. If so, then there is no loss. If you resized the image, then there is a loss.

Roger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the responses. Roger I did not resize any of the images, only cropped some of them for comp.

Jack