Thread: Rainbow Bee-eater

Brian Gunter

Default Rainbow Bee-eater

Attached Images Attached Images

Yet another bee-eater ! - this one is from Australia. They are beautiful birds but very very difficult to photograph in flight. This photo was taken near Katherine, Northern Territory; early afternoon in July (dry season).

Canon D60 / Canon 400 5.6L / monopod
    ISO 400 / 1/2000 / f8 / no flash / distance 5 m (=16 feet)
    Original has been cropped by about 30% top & left
    Original was seriously underexposed but Photoshop seems to have saved it - I now use RAW for all such photos.
    Bee-eaters use a fence or branch to look for food (bees !), swoop for the kill and then often return to the same spot.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice shot as thinking of the colors. Beautiful mixture. I think this image is posted to the wrong forum. It contains man made elements so must have been posted to Avian, Captive and Hand Of Man forum.
    Szimi

Brian Gunter

Default Rainbow Bee-eater

Sorry Gyorgy, I realised too late that it was in the wrong forum. Maybe one of the BPN team will kindly transfer it to where it should be. Brian

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome, Brian
    This image certainly has a place in this forum and it's a beauty. The colors on these birds are incredible. You may have under exposed it but you did a nice job saving it in PS. The bird is sharp and the the BG compliments the bird nicely. I little more head turn might have brought out the red color a little more. Overall this is a very nice image. You did a great job in presenting all your technicals which often times makes it easier to understand characteristics in the image. You've learned the value of shooting RAW and I'd say that you are off and running in photography.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian,

Great bird and bg. I love the colors. I like the fence too. I wish the birds head was turned a little towards you instead of a little away.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Robert Amoruso

Head turn would put this over the top. Fence is a nice graphic touch.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I chased these birds a lot in Australia when I was over there in the Army. Never got anything this good though. Nice.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Maybe someday I'll get over to Australia and you can be my Bee eater guide. :D
    I love all the color in these guys, nits mentioned.:)