Thread: PC to Mac Image transfer question

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default PC to Mac Image transfer question

I am considering a PC to Mac conversion but worried about how would I be able to transfer or access several terabytes of images on my Pc hard disks over on the Mac.
    I know just hooking up by usb will not work since Mac requires their own format. Burning disks is really not an option I would like to entertain.
    Ive made a few searches but have no good answers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Larry- I have never encountered a disk formatted on a "PC" that cannot be read by a Mac (the reverse cannot be said). Have you tried to plug in the "PC" disk to the Mac and see if it comes up in the Finder? Macs do not require their own format.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for making me try it again! I recently got a Macbook Pro and the connecting cord I used was bad. I found another and it works fine! Awesome!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect outcome!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

PCs and Macs typically have different formats for drives. Your PC drives likely use NTFS which OSX will read without problem. You may not be able to write to write to these drives in the default state. Should you have a problem writing then all you need to do is install a NTFS driver. There are open source free versions that work fine. Should you get new drives and don't plan on moving them between Macs and PCs you may be advised to stick with a Mac format.