Thread: Preening Heron

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Preening Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured this image at Little Estero Lagoon early one morning. CC's welcomed.

7D ~ 500 f/4L IS + 1.4x ~ ISO 400 ~ 1/320 @ f/6.3 + 2/3 ec ~ Gitzo GT 3530LS + Mongoose M-35a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger:

Love the pose,simple background, colors.

The IQ has sufferred a bit. Moderate amount of noise, the whites are overexposed and not showing much detail, and it almost looks like some chromatic aberration along the back of the neck.

Could you share with us what you did in post? How big of crop?

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, Randy. This is about a 50% crop from the original. In RAW, the hotest tones in the belly measure 245 max. IMO, those belly feathers are so fine and downy, they almost defy detail. I did not run noise reduction on this image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger:

Even though the whites aren't technically blown at 245, I might go back to the raw and reconvert it with less exposure just to see what the whites do as far as detail. I do agree they are very fine feathers.

You can also run a linear burn on them, or if you have color efex pro, detail extractor can often tease out a bit more detail.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I offer the attached repost for your consideration.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice pose. Really pity for the bad IQ due to the blown whites. I'd also give it a try with NIK Detail Extractor.

Lorant

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger:

You are def. on the right track. I am seeing a modest improvement in details in the whites. I think there may be more to be gotten there.

The overall brightness of the image looks better as well.

The pose is so strong, I think it is worth the extra effort to polish it!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger:

I looked at your repost at home on my better monitor, and the whites looked even better, and for me, just fine now, with reasonable detail!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Randy. I was growing a bit frustrated with the comments about blown out whites, particularly on the repost, when on my monitor, the image is fantastic!!! Geez, I don't know how I can make it much better! Kinda seems like when the first person registers a crit about an image on this site, everyone else falls in line and hesitates to state a different opinion. Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger:

I appreciate it can be frustrating at times when people don't agree with how you see an image. It has happened to me on my images as well. Although my monitor at work is calibrated, it still reads slightly different than my home monitor, plus I have a controlled viewing environment at home, not so much at work.

As far as people agreeing with the original critique, there can be some of that, but there are a lot of very independent folks here, and most don't hesitate to give their honest opinion, even if it is different from a previous poster.

So, keep them coming!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS