Thread: Male Wood Duck

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Male Wood Duck

Hi everybody,

A very popular subject right now, the male Wood Duck. Here is my take on it. I can never seem to get the white from the bill intact...
    Olympus E-30 with 300mm f2.8, 1/1250s f/7.1 at 300.0mm iso800
    PP was done in Aperture 3 (adjusted levels, toned down the bright spots) and then sharpening was adjusted in LR4.

Your comments are very welcome!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Simon:

In anything but the softest light, it is hard to hold the white bill patch and often the white plumage on the head and sides, while still bringing out the darker areas. I think you hit a pretty good compromise.

If you have photshop available, I think you would be able to tone down the whites a sliver, but sometimes there just is no detail left to work with.

Sharp, nice angle in frame, pleasant BG. I could see a version with the top cropped down a bit. The shoreline isn't a problem, but cropping lower would give the impression of a lower shooting angle.

I am however, a real fan of pano crops, so take the cropping suggestion with a grain or two of sea salt!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Randy, I tried a pano crop for another shot of this male Wood Duck and I had the impression that it was sort of "crushing" the bird, maybe it was too tight of a crop. I'll give it a try! Thanks for the advice on the white, I don't have PS but will try with Aperture and LR4.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent light, details and bg.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is very nice Simon, good suggestions by Randy. I would also crop from the top just enough to get rid of the dark spots, whatever that is under the breast in the water might have to go also.

Jack

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image. Great pose, real nice light, great detail, and very nice shooting angle.
    Well done.