Thread: From RAW to TIFF

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default From RAW to TIFF

Hello,

Maybe this is very simple but don't know the answer, when I open a RAW file from BB to ACR
    then open it in Photoshop it opens as a Photoshop PSD file but I want to open it as TIFF how do I
    make it open as TIFF ?

Thanks

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Fernando. I can only find one option that comes close to your request. Open a raw file into ACR, adjust as needed, click on "save image" in the lower left corner of the ACR screen, change file type to Tiff or tiff, click save and then open this file from bb or PS into PS. Hope someone has a better way? I will be watching, as I would love to know how also!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Check you preferences for file handling; in LR you can choose the default Ctrl-S as either TIFF or PSD.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think Fernando is asking something different and I'm not sure it's available. TIFF, JPEG etc are image file formats and I don't think they affect the way Photoshop "internalises" the file.

I have noticed that if I open a Canon raw file in ACR, then xfer to Photoshop and save, sometimes I get a tif by default and sometimes I get psd. I am not yet sure what causes the shift from one to the other.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    Check you preferences for file handling; in LR you can choose the default Ctrl-S as either TIFF or PSD.
    I think that this feature in ACR only allows opening into ACR, not from ACR to PS. Looks like the best option will be to save as a tiff on the way out of PS.
    Last edited by Dan Brown; 04-06-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK just did a test. Photoshop remembers the last file format used for a save- at least it remembers tif and psd- and uses this for the next save.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    OK just did a test. Photoshop remembers the last file format used for a save- at least it remembers tif and psd- and uses this for the next save.
    John, I am using two different machines, each with CS3 and CS5 and none of them remember my saves!!?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

The screen shot show the preferences in LR for file handling. If it is set to TIFF, CS5 will upon the initial Save (CTRL-S), save as a TIFF; if set to PSD it will be saved as a PSD.

Camera Raw preferences do not give you the same options.

Maybe this is very simple but don't know the answer, when I open a RAW file from BB to ACR
    then open it in Photoshop it opens as a Photoshop PSD file but I want to open it as TIFF how do I
    make it open as TIFF ?
    I am not sure that this statement makes sense; however I rarely open a file from ACR.

When a file is opened from LR into CS5, you do not know from the file name that appears in CS5 what type of a file format it is until you save it.

i just double clicked a CR2 file in Bridge; first ACR opened inside of CS5. I did not SAVE the image which converts it and saves it; I OPENED the image.

The image was still a CR2; it hadn't changed to either a PSD or a TIFF.

Fernando, please detail each of the steps you do that results in the file opening from ACR to CS5 already as a PSD. I believe that somewhere you have done a conversion as save as a psd.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys I am opening in ACR optimizing then saving as Tiff, reopening with Neat Image Standalone application for noise reduction and then
    opening from Breeze B. to Photoshop, maybe not the best workflow but today it worked for me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    The screen shot show the preferences in LR for file handling. If it is set to TIFF, CS5 will upon the initial Save (CTRL-S), save as a TIFF; if set to PSD it will be saved as a PSD.

Camera Raw preferences do not give you the same options.

I am not sure that this statement makes sense; however I rarely open a file from ACR.

When a file is opened from LR into CS5, you do not know from the file name that appears in CS5 what type of a file format it is until you save it.

i just double clicked a CR2 file in Bridge; first ACR opened inside of CS5. I did not SAVE the image which converts it and saves it; I OPENED the image.

The image was still a CR2; it hadn't changed to either a PSD or a TIFF.

Fernando, please detail each of the steps you do that results in the file opening from ACR to CS5 already as a PSD. I believe that somewhere you have done a conversion as save as a psd.
    No lightroom involved, Jay. Fernando is opening from Breeze Browser to PS, which goes thru ACR.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando Cerra View Post
    Thanks guys I am opening in ACR optimizing then saving as Tiff, reopening with Neat Image Standalone application for noise reduction and then
    opening from Breeze B. to Photoshop, maybe not the best workflow but today it worked for me.
    This is probably your best bet, Fernando. You could install Neat Image as a plugin and not have to reopen the image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Brown View Post
    John, I am using two different machines, each with CS3 and CS5 and none of them remember my saves!!?
    Interesting Dan. I'm using Ps 5.1 on a Mac. I checked this out a little further and the behaviour is consistent. Note that Ps file-saving behaviour depends on whether or not you have ACR set to intercept and process TIFFs and JPEGs (Ps->Preferences->File handling->Camera Raw Preferences). If ACR intervenes after opening a TIFF or JPEG, Ps thinks you have never saved the file before and a "Save" invokes the Save dialogue box asking for a file name just as "Save as' would. In this case on my system it takes the last file format as the default for the Save, except if you last saved as a JPEG, which it doesn't remember! I tested a few formats and it does remember .tif, .psd, .png and .raw

If you disable support for .jpg or .tif in ACR (Ps->Preferences->File handling->Camera Raw Preferences->Disable JPG support/Disable TIFF support), opening one of these files takes you straight to Ps. In this case when you Save it saves without the dialogue box, and a "Save as" brings up the dialogue box with the default file format being the one for the file you are saving.

Fernando- That seems like a very complicated workflow and I'm not sure what is accomplishes.
    Last edited by John Chardine; 04-07-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    Interesting Dan. I'm using Ps 5.1 on a Mac. I checked this out a little further and the behaviour is consistent. Note that Ps file-saving behaviour depends on whether or not you have ACR set to intercept and process TIFFs and JPEGs (Ps->Preferences->File handling->Camera Raw Preferences). If ACR intervenes after opening a TIFF or JPEG, Ps thinks you have never saved the file before and a "Save" invokes the Save dialogue box asking for a file name just as "Save as' would. In this case on my system it takes the last file format as the default for the Save, except if you last saved as a JPEG, which it doesn't remember! I tested a few formats and it does remember .tif, .psd, .png and .raw

If you disable support for .jpg or .tif in ACR (Ps->Preferences->File handling->Camera Raw Preferences->Disable JPG support/Disable TIFF support), opening one of these files takes you straight to Ps. In this case when you Save it saves without the dialogue box, and a "Save as" brings up the dialogue box with the default file format being the one for the file you are saving.

Fernando- That seems like a very complicated workflow and I'm not sure what is accomplishes.
    John, I don't know what to suggest to Fernando. FYI, with CS12... if I open a file from capture nx2 into ACR and then into PS, it is opened as a tiff and default closes as a PSD. If I open a tiff with or without layers, it opens and closes as same. Interesting thing is, if I open my nef into NX2 and then "open with" it goes to ACR as set to do, and then opens into PS and default closes as a Tiff. If I open a tiff that has already passed thru ACR, it opens straight to PS, bypassing ACR, even though I have ACR set to open Tiffs and Jpegs! I don't have any Tiffs that haven't passed thru ACR to test what they will do but I'm curious? Probably they will open into ACR. Of course none of this helps Fernando!