Thread: American White Pelicans

Mike Cameron

Default American White Pelicans

American White Pelicans
    Canon 40D, 300mm F/4, 1/1000sec, f/5.6

Flocks of pelicans are reliable visitors to Texas each winter. I photographed this pair on an overcast day a couple of weeks before Christmas. I trimmed slightly on the left to improve the composition. Comments and Critiques are welcome.

Regards,
    Mike

Robert Amoruso

Hi Mike,

I like how you got the branch coming in at the right. Head position on the pelicans look good though I would prefer not to see the beak merging with a head. I think room at the top, not a lot, a bit would make it feel less cramped to me. I would have liked the whole bottom of the branch. I am guessing that this is full frame with the left crop you mentioned.

Post processing looks just right and colors accurate. Nice work here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice exposure control and great eye contact. Pose of second bird is kind of iffy for me. I would like it to be parallel to film plane.
    wish there was little separation between fristbirds beak and second ones head. Just my 2 cents. Nice image.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Hi Mike. Very good exposure on the whites and I like the poses of the two white pelicans but as mentioned a little more room at the top and the a little separation betwee the beak and the other pelican would strengthen this image. Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the poses, comp, and exposure. A little more room on top would be nice, but I like it as is. My only nit is the bill merging with the head of the 2nd bird. Nice image!
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the curved perch with 2 birds. It makes for a nice composition. Great exposure of theses white birds against a dark bg. Would like a little more room and I wish the beak of the left bird did not cross the head of the right bird.

Jody Melanson

Nits mentioned, nice!