Thread: Heavy criticism of the 5D III video

Hybrid View

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Heavy criticism of the 5D III video

http://www.eoshd.com/content/7551/ca...ark-iii-review

Can anyone validate this?

Common sense tells me something is wrong with this review. He is as critical about the 5D III as he is about the 5D II for its resolution- not true 1080p according to the review. However, the Mark II was used extensively, and still is, for commercial cinematic productions. Either he is wrong, or some of the big names in hollywood are content with shooting at "720p" with the Mark II.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't agree with it.

These days it is standard tactics. Write a bunch of stuff and get the traffic to your site. You go to any forum and there are a bunch of fans of GH2 who wants to run down any camera. When the Canon C300 was launched the same guys started comparing with GH2. And they will do it with any camera that is launched in the future. The Canon C300 was panned heavily due to its specs and when people got their hands on it, they realised how great a camera it is.

A lot of people are also comparing the 5DIII with the 5DII and immediately dialling the same settings as they had in their 5DII (for shooting video). The 5D III is different. There is no false aliasing like GH2 etc. It needs a different amount of sharpening and sharpens beautifully, as the files are devoid of artifacts which when present gives a false sense of sharpness in GH2.

I am waiting to review the 1DX when Canon decides.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your take on this!

I'm waiting for the 1Dx too.....supposed to be out in a few days. Then April 15th. Now, from Canon, "What we're hearing is late April."

Threads
    Thank You Posts

To the contrary, I found the review to be thoughtful and not at all 'bashing.'

In fact, the video at the top of the page, shot with the body in question, was really quite impressive, save for some sparkling in a distant tree line in one scene.

No question that the web is frothing with nay-sayer sites of all kinds. Trolls, plants and subterfuge are part of the landscape.

But I didn't see that in this review. He seems genuinely disappointed that it didn't fulfill his expectations. And he does plan to keep it, mainly for stills.

That doesn't mean he's right, or that it won't work well for you.

I equate a lot of gear reviews, and opinions expressed all over the web, with the old newspaper movie reviews.

Most of the time, my experience couldn't be more distant from the reviewer's.
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Lens

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your perspective, Bill!