Thread: Tri Color Portrait

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tri Color Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken at Green Cay Nature Preserve, Delray Beach Fl.
    Canon 40 D
    300 2.8 IS 2X 600 mm Handheld
    5.6 1/800 ISO 400

Mohammed Ahmed

Ted,

This is a very nice image. I love the background colors. The bird is nice and sharp. I hope you also have the whole bird with the similar background. Congratulations on creating a lovely image of a one of my favourite birds.

Cheers,

Mohammed

Mike Cameron

I love the warm rich tones in this image, which make it very appealing. Croping the image through the middle of the body feels a little akward to me. I would try a closer crop for a head & shoulders portrait.

Regards,
    Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ted,

I see where you are going. Very nice definitions of shadows. May be a tighter crop will bring out details much better and justify your efforts. Very nice work.

Fabs Forns

Hi Taed,

Very nice light on this, clean background too. I would have moved the camera down a bit to get the full length of the chest plumes.
    Having what we have now, it's a bit looses on the right, get in close to half of the body, you have the space to keep a nice ratio. And I would also go back in the sharpening a little bit.

The gradients on the left are beautiful, glad you enjoyed your Florida trip!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful lights and details on feathers. I would have placed the bird a bit higher in the frame.
    Szimi

Judy Lynn Malloch

Hi Ted.

The beautiful lighting and the wonderful graduation of color in the BG is very nice. I would also prefer that you could see a litlle more of the bird in the frame and moving to the left as Fab suggested and moving the camera down a little you could get more of the neck and chest area. Love the wonderful coloring in this image and thanks for sharing.

Jasper Doest

Hi Ted, Although I agree with the cropping suggestion I'd like to suggest to get things right in the field. Especially with such a cooperative bird, try to reflect the things you see in the viewfinder and try to figure out what you like and what you don't like...rather than pointing your camera at a bird an fire away. The light is gorgeous and sharpness is outstanding...it is a pitty that you didn't place this higher in frame. If this is a common species around your area it might be worth to give it another try, rather than cropping this one.

Ed Prete

Ted, some great comments already here. I think a little more focal length would have made this one a stunning image as it would have filled the frame more (its very close to that already). Gorgeous light on the subject. Perhaps even positioning yourself slightly more to the right would have allowed you to get more green in that background, which I think would take this up a notch or two.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice light, pose, and details here Ted. I am not too wild about the comp though. I think I would have gone vertical and a little tighter. This would have produced a more detailed version that included the chest feathers and less space around the bird.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet light and pretty background. Agree with others that the bird is cut off a bit awkwardly. What a beautiful bird.