Thread: Hammerkop ar sunrise

Hybrid View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hammerkop ar sunrise

Guess I'm overdue on the "hot seat" .
    This taken in May 2007 at Leopard Hills safari camp South Africa. Morning game drive, my guide/ranger Marius spied a Hammerkop in reeds along a pond. He stopped the Land Rover and said - let's see if he'll fly off. And it did across the pond sun reflection. Unfortunately it is just past the camera but you can see its very pointy beak and wing position is nice.
    Nikon D200, f8, 1/2500, ISO400, 85mm on a 70-300 zoom. Cropped not much, made warmer in Photoshop. Maybe to warm/saturated?

Name:  DSC_0017 x bpn.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  187.6 KB

Tom

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Should be posted in Avian Tom.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry, I know there is an avian forum but I never have posted there nor seldom visit it. And since this image is from Africa and many viewers this forum post/comment African wildlife, I wanted them to see it and comment. Thinking that they, like myself, would perhaps not find it in avian. It also is probably more about landscape so perhaps it belongs landscape forum? However, fine, move it wherever you wish.
    Tom

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Tom:

I really like the basic composition and mass placement, but it is just too bright for my tastes.

The repost has several multiply layers run to tone down the overall brightness. This is clearly a matter of personal taste, but perhaps it represents a viable option for you to explore.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Tom I like this because of the 'etherial' early morning feel to the image, sorry Randy, however it is good to see the various options available.

Personally I prefer the OP, however what I might suggest is to bring out just a hint more detail in the darker areas of the FG, define a hint more in the BG and reducing that white halo (can't do that on this version). Suprised you didn't burn out the sensor.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love that you have the hammerkop in the light and prefer that the foreground be dark . I might even darken it a bit more than your post so that it is totally black. Great capture.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this, just a pitty the bird was not coming in...but still pleasing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Also agree with you Adrian, several little "problems". But that's wildlife photography, takes so much time and effort for everything to come together. However, for me, and you and most here the time and effort is fun .
    I'm sure the original scene, morning mist, was not as colorful as mine here - or the others reposts. As Steve mentions, the original as I remember it was very etherial. And the original is blown white. But again, fun playing with it.
    Thanks all for your comments and efforts.
    Tom