Thread: Norfolk Island Very Early Dawn

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Norfolk Island Very Early Dawn

Attached Images Attached Images

When I look at the time in the EXIF data it has to be wrong; yet, I can remember dragging out of bed "down under" for the early early morning sunrise. The sun was hot. I would have like to be lower; couldn't get any lower than the large bounder that I was balanced upon to take the shot.

When I look at this image I ask myself "what will the 5D3 do any differently; I tell myself that I want two FF cameras for backup".

Camera: 5D2
    Capture date/time: 9 Nov 10; 3:41AM
    Light condition: sunrise
    Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
    Focal length:33mm
    Distance:
    Extender: none
    Tube: none
    Flash/Comp:
    ISO: 200
    Exp Prog: Av
    Speed: .3 sec
    Aperture: f/18
    Exp Comp: none
    Metering: Evaluative
    WB: Auto
    AF Drive: One-shot AF
    Tripod: yes
    Filter: SR GNDs and RGNDs
    Crop: full frame
    Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR4, CS5, Nik, Blowup

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Angelika Schauf

Very nice colors and great clouds.

Forum Participant Valerio Tarone's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay hi, nicely done, pefect ROT. I would like more detail on the rocks in LF.

Robert Amoruso

Jay, The composition is well done but I feel the FG is has too little detail to hold interest. All the darkness creates too much negative space.
    Last edited by Robert Amoruso; 03-18-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, it should have been shot in two stages. I should have shot the foreground properly exposed to bring out the detail and then shot the sunrise for a two image blend. The only alternative is to create a pano to minimize the negative space.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hiya Jay
    I like the new crop better also. It must be nice to live where you live...man o man...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost is stronger compositionally. Must say I am baffled that you didn't "shoot to blend" with this one?
    Lovely sky though...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    The repost is stronger compositionally. Must say I am baffled that you didn't "shoot to blend" with this one?
    Lovely sky though...
    Baffled?! BAFFLED??!!

Me too!

Great minds thinks alike; we are both baffled!

Seriously, thinking to do the "shoot to blend" needs to become second nature so that you do it in the moment - automatically. Today, hopefully; yesterday - didn't happen.
    Cheers, Jay

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I find the placement of the horizon too central in the repost, and you have lost all the beautiful reflections in the water which is a shame. However, I agree that the foreground in the OP is too dark so I guess you will just have to go back and re shoot!

Robert Amoruso

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    Baffled?! BAFFLED??!!

Me too!

Great minds thinks alike; we are both baffled!

Seriously, thinking to do the "shoot to blend" needs to become second nature so that you do it in the moment - automatically. Today, hopefully; yesterday - didn't happen.
    Jay, I was being nice and did not say I was befuddled.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert, that was cyber chit chat between The Morkman and me; welcome aboard!
    Cheers, Jay

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary Hann View Post
    I find the placement of the horizon too central in the repost, and you have lost all the beautiful reflections in the water which is a shame. However, I agree that the foreground in the OP is too dark so I guess you will just have to go back and re shoot!
    Let's go!!

It is in OUR backyard! Going to Lord Howe in October with Michael Snedic.
    Cheers, Jay

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    Let's go!!

It is in OUR backyard! Going to Lord Howe in October with Michael Snedic.
    I never thought of NI having scenes like that, just thought it was kind of staid!! Will have to speak severely to myself and look at it being a good destination and cheaper than Africa.

Look forward to your Lord Howe pics. Have you ever thought of doing a landscape workshop with Peter Eastway? He runs something up on one of the QLD islands, and also a fabulous one in the Kimberleys.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hilary, I could easily spend several weeks in the forest and on the shores all around NI. Do a Google on both NI and LHI photographs.

I will look into Eastway. Being the workshop/private tuition junkie that I am - I am in North Carolina to spend four days with Chas - it would be nice to identify good Aussie workshops.

Trekabout does a first class job always!!
    Cheers, Jay

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, are you on Facebook? I could send some really interesting photographic workshop info your way, and you can decide if any would suit. I don't go on them myself (no time), but I know quite a few of the photographers and have attended workshops and seminars locally and there are some excellent instructors amongst them. Envy your time with Chas!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I am on Facebook; you can also send them to luvntravln at gmail dot com.
    Last edited by Jay Gould; 03-20-2012 at 06:32 AM.
    Cheers, Jay

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay...loving those reflections, clouds and the soft glow on the water.....Only wish there were more detail in the rocks on the LHS

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay - good suggestions above for improving this beautiful image and good reasons for you to return to the location.

TFS,
    Rachel

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, love the clouds and the repost takes it up a notch.