Thread: Cannon 7D focus confirmation beep setting

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cannon 7D focus confirmation beep setting

Activities in my past have caused some hearing loss at various tones. Does anyone know if there is either a way to turn up the volumn of the "beep" setting or change the tone frequency? Looks like load music and firearms with little hearing protection was a bad move on my part. Guess I could always get a hearing aid

thanks

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

Unfortunetly there is no volume or tone variation control on the frequency lock beep. In AI servo mode the beep will not sound at all and this is the setting I use 85-90% of the time for wildlife photograhy. Apart from looking in the viewfinder and watching for the AF points to flash when they lock focus you could try using rear focus which will allow you to use a custom set button to lock focus and then leave you with the shutter button to check for exposure and take the shot. This might be easier for you. For landscape images you can use the live view mode.

Check out the Rear focus tutorial here, http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/...ocus-tutorial/

If your hearing is giving you trouble it might well be time for a hearing aid so you can listen for the wildlife approaching .

Jamie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You cannot change the "volume" or frequency of that beep. You can, however, look for the focus confirmation light (a small green circle) in the bottom right of the viewfinder. Keep in mind that neither of these features work when in AI Servo.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jamie seemingly types much faster than I do, so sorry for the repeat info :-)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the information...I've been using the focus confirmation light for the times when not in AI Servo mode.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Jamie seemingly types much faster than I do, so sorry for the repeat info :-)

Haha but you added the info about the green light and I totally overlooked that.

Steve, You are welcome and I hope you find something that works for you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am thinking that some of the comments above are in error. But I am too jet-lagged to get up and put some gear together. Plus it's dark here.

IAC, here goes. If you are in AI Servo AF and the green focus light is going on and off rapidly it shows that the system is struggling to attain focus. So if you are using AI Servo AF with AI Servo active and the green circle light is not on and not fluttering on and off does that not indicate that the image is in focus?????
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.