Thread: Last Japan Keeper

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Last Japan Keeper

Attached Images Attached Images

This sleeping Red-crowned Crane was photographed on a slow afternoon at the Akan Crane Center, Hokkaido Japan in sweet late afternoon light. I am now in a Tokyo hotel waiting to fly home tomorrow at noon. Funny thing is I land in Dallas same day 2 1/2 hours before I left!

Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the 1.4X III TC and the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop off the snow: 1/800 sec. at f/11. Cropping was a challenge; see the full frame original in the next pane.

Don't be shy: all honest comments welcome.

ps: For the whole story behind the image and to see the image that I really wanted to make, click here and learn also why I could not make the image I wanted.....
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 03-13-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

This is the full frame un-processed image.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Ofer Levy

I like this. The lovely eye contact and awesome light, together with the PERFECT exposure control, sharpness and detail make this for me. How amazing is the Canon 800 f5.6?!!! Every time I use it I thank you! Composition is a bit tricky IMHO. Not sure about this pano but couldn't come up with a nicer crop.
    Last edited by Ofer Levy; 03-12-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, great composition and excellent expsoure control and sharpness.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

Great techs, sharp, exposure.

I think you did well with the crop based on the original.

I find the feathers over the head like a hood really adds the extra wow to this image.

Safe travel to you.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful colors, texture, composition. THe feather over the bird's head sets this one apart. Safe travels.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Definitely a keeper Artie! Excellent sharpness and exposure. I think you chose the perfect crop for this image.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the textures in both the blacks and whites Artie. The glint in the eye and the red forehead really draw you in. I tried to think of alternate crops and then just realized that the one you presented works perfectly for me. Beautiful.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, excellent exposure and sharpness, and just love that pose. Looking at your original, and if this were mine, I would have cropped top and bottom as you have, but would have left the RHS as is. Have a safe trip.

Forum Participant Richard Unsworth's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Astonishing whites, fantastic as always, safe travels

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is so very beautiful Artie. Perfect techs and just an amazing pose. I love it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very inspirational. Exposure on whites and blacks together does'nt get better than this. Excellent detail, the crop is just fine. I really like the BG color.

Jack

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just very well done and a unique pose.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 03-12-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Bowie View Post
    Hi Artie, excellent exposure and sharpness, and just love that pose. Looking at your original, and if this were mine, I would have cropped top and bottom as you have, but would have left the RHS as is. Have a safe trip.
    Thanks Stuart. I tried it that way.... With more BLACK on our right it left me feeling that the image was unbalanced.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jack williamson View Post
    Very inspirational. Exposure on whites and blacks together does'nt get better than this. Excellent detail, the crop is just fine. I really like the BG color. Jack
    Thank you sir. Detail Extractor in NIK's Color Efex Pro used judiciously, probably at 40% opacity here, is way more effective than a Linear Burn. Learn more about the NIK stuff here.

16. Thanks jack williamson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Exemplary image for exposure control. Perfect techs Artie.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice shot! I also like the full frame image because the ruffled feathers of the tail gives it a different character.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like a wall hanger to me. The whites look lovely and the image well balanced for my eyes.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

very well done Artie, you cropped perfectly . sharp and nice details. exp spot on for whites and blacks
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, this has your name written all over it. loved the pose, comp. and whites. Flawless shot IMO. how cool is that canopy!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for your kind words. I am almost home now. Bushed. For the whole story behind the image and to see the image that I really wanted to make, click here and learn also why I could not make the image I wanted.....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the balance of the crop - with the blacks balanced well and I like the detail in the whites. But for me what makes this image is the slight hood of feathers covering the head. sheltering the head in the feathers like that shows how cold it must be as well as the trust shown in your fellow Cranes to keep a look out as you have reduced you field of view by one eye.