Thread: Eager to Learn Spotlight Image P-A. Fortin for week ending Jan 6th, 2012 - Hungry hungry pelican

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eager to Learn Spotlight Image P-A. Fortin for week ending Jan 6th, 2012 - Hungry hungry pelican

Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations P-A!!

Finally had a few minutes to start looking at my photos from my trip to California, along with playing with the result of my latest spending frenzy: my brand new copy of CS5 (Your "bad" influence is to be blamed here.).

This picture was taken at the Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Reserve, CA, very early on the first morning, as one could tell from the lighting conditions. There was quite alot of fog on the pond, which actually gave me some trouble in PS. The toughest part was to isolate this bird since he was part of a group of about 15 pelicans swimming around.

For those wondering: yes, he did swallow this whole fish... after a 10 minutes fight. No forks or knife available I guess....

Canon 60D, 100-400mm @ 310mm yet cropped at about 80% (Yes, I'm still clumsy with my lens), f/5.6, 1/1250, ISO 400, manual exposure (Thanks to Kerry), handheld, no flash.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot! Congratulations!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations P-A!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

congrats!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice job--congrats!

Brendan Dozier

Congratulations, P-A!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow thanks. Actually catches me by surprise because I never expected to get any kind of recognition for any of my images . This one goes into the "motivation" basket.

I really like this image, especially since it is my first-ever image shot in manual mode (well, not counting the few metering shots taken a few minutes earlier). Though I see a few flaws after a few months and more experience (I wish the lighting came from a different direction...)