Thread: Brightness settings and Calibration on MacBook Pro

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brightness settings and Calibration on MacBook Pro

Hello folks,
    For those of you who do your photo work on a MacBook Pro, I'd love to ask you:
    At what brightness setting do you keep your machine? Am I dead wrong to have my brightness all the way up?
    I know the monitor must be calibrated as well...I figure a Spyder is the way to go?
    I recently made a few giclée prints, and they looked great overall but the yellows on my magnolia warbler look a little green...I assume this is due to improper monitor calibration...the colors looked perfect on the C-Prints I made but the giclées are printing darker...perhaps that's just the way it goes and I need to lighten the file before sending it off for printing?
    Can't thank you enough for any information or leads...the world of printing seems to be a whole new world of mysteries and frustrations, so I should try to give myself the best advantages possible.
    Thanks again for your help!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jack- I have a Macbook Air and an Apple 27" Thunderbolt display. The displays are capable of putting out a lot of light- too much for most "normal" indoor lighting conditions. I calibrate both of the displays with the Spyder 3 Elite system and it provides a target brightness based on the ambient lighting at the time of the calibration. The usual brightness setting it calls for is about 110 candelas/square metre which works out to about 4-5 "notches" lower than maximum brightness on both displays.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John...should help out with the headaches I've been getting too...thanks for that tip...I'll get a hold of the Spyder but for now I'll turn the brightness down by 5 notches...many thanks

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Check your brightness by comparing to white paper in bright sunlight. Take some paper out in the sunlight and take a meter reading, e.g. say ISO 100, f/8, what is the exposure? Now make a white image in your photo editor and fill the screen with it. Meter it too at ISO 100 and f/8. What is the exposure? It should be lower in brightness than the white paper in bright sun. Many monitors from the factory are not.

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again Roger, very helpful.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

4 notches down from the right is the norm w/o calibration.

Chas

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks for the info...