Thread: Eagle looking and listening.

JimTester

Default Eagle looking and listening.

EOS 5D mkII, 500 f/4L IS, 1.4TC, ISO640, f/8, 1/2000, 700mm on tripod.

This guy was sitting being very regal. The distressed rabbit call caused him to start looking for his next meal.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim. Beautiful bird - agree regal is the right description. Capture looks very sharp and good exposure, well done. I find the number of branches distracting, though, in particular the OOF ones on the right. Feels like they are in the way of where the bird is looking. Could either try cloning them out, which may be difficult, or do you have any other photos from a slightly different angle?

JimTester

I can probably clone that out without too much problem. It would certainly bring more attention to the eagle. Unfortunately that was the best angle and he didn't stay around long to pose. It was -10F, and all of his peers were heading elsewhere to find something to eat.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim, nice intent pose of the eagle. The image quality is quite good. I agree with Gordon regarding cloning out the distracting branch(es).

JimTester

Perhaps something more like this?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim, nice capture with excellent exposure and color rendition. Nice quality of light and the sun angle works well. Good job on the gardening, much cleaner look and more focus on the bird. Well done! You were fortunate that your camera functioned well at that temperature - some have had issues with the batteries conking out and not getting any shots until they were warmed up. I would be heading elsewhere too, somewhere warm!
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

JimTester

Kerry, thank you. I've had the cameras out in the cold quite a bit. I use battery grips on all of them. It saps them more than normal temps, but I can usually get all the shots I need to get. Keeping the lenses from fogging up is the biggest pain when coming back in from the cold. Bagging them in plastic, then wrapping them up in blankets so they'll warm slowly is about the best thing to do.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost is a nice improvement. Once you have done all that work you might as well go all the way....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.