Thread: DxO Optics Pro 7.2 Elite combined with DxO Filmpack 3.0

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default DxO Optics Pro 7.2 Elite combined with DxO Filmpack 3.0

I've been a DxO Optics Pro Elite user since vs. 5. I was attracted by DxO's ability to adjust for geometric errors, chromatic aberration, lens softness, etc. for each of my lenses at every aperture and every focal length on every body that I own. This has always been a strength for DxO.

With vs. 5 and 6, I put up with slow processing and tendancies to lock up and require restarts. All this was very annoying, but the results made it worth the trouble. With vs. 7 DxO took a major step forward by increasing processing speed dramatically. What used to take minutes per image now takes 4 to 10-sec. I'm using a Windows 7 64-bit PC, with 8GB of RAM and fast multi-core processor and a medium grade graphics card with OpenCL enabled. My RAW files typically range from 20 to 30MB.

Version 7.0 had some tendancy to lock up, but DxO quickly fixed that with vs. 7.1. I'm now on vs. 7.2 and haven't experienced a lock up since updating to 7.1 from 7.0.

Two things that I'd love to see added are a multi-image HDR tool and a brush for some local adjusting.

I use Optics Pro in conjunction with FilmPack 3.0. They work together seamlessly with huge flexibility. Also, the included presets are very effective and you can set any preset as Default so that DxO opens your image with the preset already applied. I'll often start with a preset and modify that slightly to create my own custom preset, then apply that to an entire Project (batch). That's particularly convenient where WB might need a slight tweak on every image shot in the same place.

The only reason I didn't give a five-star rating is the desire for multi-image HDR and a local tool.

This software is powerful and requires a relatively powerful computer to enjoy full advantage and speed, but for a serious photographer it's a wonderful tool.

Robert Amoruso

David,

Thanks for this review. I have been considering it and find your thoughts very helpful. Thank you.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd suggest that anyone considering it take advantage of their free 30-day trial and include FilmPack 3.0 in the same trial. That way you'll be certain that your computer is truly compatable (64-bit is really a must for the large RAW files) and it fits your workflow.