Thread: Help!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Help!

I'm wanting to enter some images for my first wildlife photography competition.

Entries are required to be entered online at first - their requirements are images that are 300mm on the longest dimension, profile RGB and a jpeg of 1mb.

Now I have just finished re working an image from RAW saved it as a 16 Bit TIFF file. I cropped the TIFF file for the comp I wanted and the file size is 150mm or there abouts on the longest dimension. I resized to 300mm on the longest dimension and this gave me a wopping file of over 100mb. I worked on this file with minor adjustments then saved this master TIFF file as a jpeg of the same dimensions with a file size of around 7 mb - now do you get a file of 1mb for uploading? My main concern is sending in sub optimal files. The last thing I need is sending in images that are not sharp.

If you get to the next round you are required to send in bigger TIFF files of around 65mb with a maximun longest dimension of 450mm?

Thanks Tom.
    Last edited by Tom Rambaut; 02-13-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tom, with CS5, open the 7mb file, click file, click save for web and devices. in the upper right of the utility, click the tiny triangle, click optimize to file size, set the desired file size to 1mb (1024), click ok and save the jpeg. This should work, unless I missed some step!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tom,
    Given where you live, I'm guessing you are referring to the ANZANG contest.
    I took a look at the rules on their web site here :

http://anzang.samuseum.sa.gov.au/index.php/page/10.html

and whoever wrote them has either omitted something or does not understand digital image processing.
    To specify that the image is to be 300mm on the longest side without specifying a resolution value is meaningless. You need to know how many pixels
    they want on the longest side. Specifying a physical size value (i.e. 300mm) without a value for resolution does not tell you that.
    300mm on the longest side at 300 PPI means about 3500 pixels on the longest side.
    300mm on the longest side at 72 PPI means 850 pixels on the longest side.
    There is no way for me to know what they have in mind but given that they are asking for a jpeg, I am guessing they will be reviewing the images on a monitor.
    The most commonly requested resolution value for monitor display is 72 PPI (even though, by the way, the resolution value on a file to be displayed on a monitor
    is meaningless and has no effect on the image size, file size, or quality). So my guess would be what they meant to say was to submit images that are 300mm
    on the longest side at 72 PPI, which means 850 pixels on the longest side. You should have no problem at all keeping such an image file well below 1 MB.
    Of course, the only way to know for sure what they want would be to give them a call and ask them to clarify the rules. Good luck!
    Last edited by Mike Milicia; 02-13-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: added url for conetst rukes

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Both - Yes the ANZANG contest. Yep the 300mm thing has me going nuts. I now have a j peg that is 20mb or so and 4535 x 6803 pixels. If I save it for web it starts at 5mb and by the time the file is 1mb the image quality has gone.

I have just sent them an email.

back again - just tried the 72 PPI - I think this the way Mike. Nice looking file of about 1.3 mb.
    Last edited by Tom Rambaut; 02-13-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You need to know the resolution value (PPI) that they want for the image.
    If you are getting a file with 6803 pixels on the longest side, you have your resolution set to 576 PPI!

Assuming they want 72 PPI (which you should verify with someone) and you are using Photoshop, here is the simplest way
    that I can describe to get what they are asking for.
    Start with the image that you got out of the camera and do whatever cropping you want for composition WITHOUT any resizing
    (i.e. leave Resolution field in the crop tool toolbar blank). Once you are done with whatever adjustments you want to make,
    use Image->Image Size, UNCHECK the "Resample Image" box and enter 72 in the resolution field and click OK.
    Then go back into Image-> Image Size, make sure the Resample Image box IS checked, enter 300mm for the longest dimension under
    "Document Size" (you will see the Pixel Dimensions at the top of the dialog change to 850 on the longest side) and click OK.
    Now go through your normal procedures for converting to jpeg and you should be all set.
    Hope that helps!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mike - yes 576 PPI - not sure now I got that. I will try you way of doing things and am awaiting a reply from the comp organisers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like we posted at the same time ... sounds like you have it worked out.
    Now you just to need to verify that they wanted 72 PPI.
    I'd be curious to hear how they respond to your email.

I am continually amazed at the lack of understanding and clarity when it comes to the resolution setting on image files.
    It used to be a lot worse but we still have long way to go if contests as big as this one still can't get it right.
    This is why I have a whole section on this topic in my Digital Fundamentals Class.
    It is a widely misunderstood concept yet it is seldom taught.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really we are just looking for the sharpest image you can submit at a file size no greater than 1mb. Size does not have to be exact just a suggested guide. All images are viewed on a calibrated screen.

Mike this is what they came back with.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting reply ... gives the impression that all they care about is file size and don't care if they get a wide variation in pixel dimensions
    and therefore a wide variation in the physical size of the images on the screen.
    I would think that they would want all images to be the same physical size on the screen to better compare them.
    IMO, larger images can have more visual impact in some cases.

Good luck in the competition!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tom, you might want to PM Ofer as he has won this competition twice now (don't show him the image as he is a judge this year) and he might be able to help with preparing your file if you haven't sent it off already. Good luck.