Thread: Amherst Island (Ontario) Owls in Jeopardy

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Amherst Island (Ontario) Owls in Jeopardy

Attached Images Attached Images

A friend of mine from Amherst Island has asked me to post the following info.
    Such proposed wind turbines are already up on neighboring Wolfe Island. See my attached photo for a shot I took from Amherst in January.

Admin, please move this post if I have put it in the wrong category.

--------

We'd very much like your, and others', help in spreading the word about a serious problem for birds on Amherst Island.

Amherst Island, as you may know, is a world-renowned IBA on a major bird migration route. An industrial wind complex is in the planning stage at this point in time. (There is also a wind complex planned for Ostrander Point, Prince Edward County - another major migratory bird route.)

If the industrial wind turbine complex is built on Amherst Island as the wind developer would like (but not 9/10 of the island's residents) this may be the last chance to see Short-eared Owls, Snowy Owls, Boreal Owls, Great Grey Owls, etc. alive instead of dead at the base of turbines.

Neighboring Wolfe Island has the deadliest bird kill rate in Canada and the second deadliest in north America (602 birds, 1,207 bats killed in the first 6 months of its operation)

For more information, visit http://protectamherst.yolasite.com/photos.php and ”http://blog.douggreensgarden.com/you...blood-of-owls/

How can you help? By spreading the word to other birders/photographers and by writing to the politicians (below), some of whom are condoning the slaughter. (A quick way is to cut & paste your letter into different emails.)

Those who are supporting the wind farm in this Important Bird Areas include: Dalton McGuinty, Premier of Ontario dmcguinty.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org Andrea Horwath, Head of the NDP ahorwath-qp@ndp.on.ca Sean Fairfield, Manager of Environmental Planning for Algonquin Power (the would-be wind developer) Sean.Fairfield@algonquinpower.com Ian Robertson, CEO of Algonquin Power Ian.Robertson@algonquinpower.com

Those opposing wind farms in Important Bird Areas: Tim Hudak, Head of the Conservative Party tim.hudakco@pc.ola.org Senator Bob Runciman - Canadian Senator who took a public stand FOR the birds aisob@sen.parl.gc.ca Randy Hillier, MPP email@randyhilliermpp.com Scott Reid, MP reids@parl.gc.ca

2. Thanks brian simpson thanked for this post