Thread: Interview with Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski

Julie Kenward

Default Interview with Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski

This week we’re going to take a closer look at one of our wildlife forum moderators,Steve Kaluski!

Steve Rogala-Kaluski was born in Perth, Scotland and has moved all around the UK from North to South; however, London has been the place where he has lived the longest. He now lives about three miles from the center of London, (for those of you who love cricket, that’s about a mile and a half away from the Lords‘s cricket ground), with Alison, his wife of over 20 years.

Steve bought his first camera, a Canon AE1, in 1979, which he needed for his college training as a Graphic Designer. Unfortunately, due to the time constraints of going into freelance work after leaving Art college and then heading into full-time employment with various London Agencies, his photography had to take a back seat, only rearing its head on vacations trips. It wasn’t until 1999,when he watched a series of half-hour TV programs made by a new wildlife photographer, Andy Rouse, that the fire of taking up photography was reignited.

Over the coming years, Andy and Steve would become friends and as Steve continued to follow Andy’s captivating television programs, he began to build on his wildlife photography skills. In 2004, he finally had an opportunity to meet up with Andy in one of his workshops. The following year, both he and his wife, Alison, traded in their careers (she was a very successful senior corporate executive at the time and Steve was a designer and company director of a successful London design consultancy) and they began their own new part-time ventures so they could enjoy life more.

To see more of Steve’s incredible wildlife images, go to www.untamedimages.co.uk

So let’s get to know more about Steve!

Do you consider yourself to be a professional, semi-pro, or student?
    I think I fall into Doug Brown’s camp of being a pro, but on a part-time basis. I really enjoy photography and selling seems like too much hard work, although some of my current images are located with well-known agencies. I was given the opportunity to attend the BBC Wildlife awards last year and that also opened a few doors and contacts, so a personal big thank you to BPN member Peter Delaney for inviting me along.

If you’re not a pro, what’s your day job?
    I also do design consultancy work.

What do you do when you’re not out with a camera in hand?
    I enjoy catching up with friends, enjoying good food, wine, movies and walking. My wife and I currently own a second house in Yorkshire where we enjoy the fresh air and the countryside. It’s also one of my favorite places for wildlife and I have found some excellent locations there over the years.

What make/model of equipment do you use on a regular basis?
    I have grown up with Canon and current own one MKIV and two MKIII’s with a good selection of prime lenses and accessories.

What editing software do you use?
    I use PhotoMechanic to do the quick, rough edit, then LR & Adobe Photoshop with an occasional plug-in like Nik, but I try to keep things simple in my workflow and processing. For me, it’s all about getting things right in camera so there’s minimal processing involved.

I personally feel that we can become like a ‘deercaught in headlights’, not knowing what software to use, applying it all, and then the image moves away from it’s original look & feel. I would rather spend more time out in the field than behind two big flat screen monitors, hard drives, and keyboards looking like a workstation for Avatar.

Do you only shoot digital or do you also shoot film/slides?
    Yes, I only shoot digital these days - ironic because I bought the top film camera at the time, the Canon 1V, only to box it up six months later to buy my first digital camera, the Canon EOS MKII.

What classifications (or genres) of photography are you primarily known for or interested in?
    I try to keep to Wildlife, but occasionally stray into Avian & Landscapes. The current postings and the wealth of knowledge on the other sister disciplines are far higher than I have seen elsewhere (from both members & moderators) which can be a little daunting!

When you’re not out photographing one of your primary interests, what else do you enjoy photographing?
    Wildlife is quite time consuming and leaves me little time to visit other areas of photography. Currently, we have a young vixen visiting the garden so that might be a new developing project. I do photograph the occasional avian image (also from our garden) and I photograph landscapes when I’m away from home travelling when the opportunity arises.

Would you say your biggest strength lies in your technical skills with the camera, your artistic expression/interpretation, or your post-processing skills?
    I would like to think I have a mix of all, but with no big strengths in one particular area - a “jack of all trades” if you will. Someone recently gave me the nickname, “Mr. Detail” - and I agree that I can be a bit of a perfectionist – so perhaps that might beconsidered a strength of mine (although I think it can also be a weakness, too!)

Given my career background, I fully understand color and its make-up, composition and structure, but photography is so subjective. I will also try to crop in camera, reducing the element of IQ loss, always thinking how it could be used, (i.e.with text or as a stand-alone image). This has been a huge help when viewing images that have been posted, as there are areas where clearly you can see parts of an image that could be enhanced or improved upon, but the majority of images need only minor tweaks to help bring out the full potential of the image.

Do you conduct any classes, seminars, or workshops?
    I have recently been invited to speak at various seminars and classes which, although nerve racking, is very rewarding and good fun. I especially enjoy the question-and-answer sessions after the presentations and I am thrilled that some nuggets of information have helped people in their pursuit of photography.

Have you ever been published? Won any awards?
    Within the first year of becoming a photographer, I was granted my Associateship to the Royal Photographic Society. I subsequently won my first award, the PSA (Photographic Society of America) Gold award in Wildlife and, in each of the last two years, the Royal Photographic Society’s Gold award for Wildlife in print. These awards mean a lot to me, as the image travels from cradle to grave (from the initial shot, processing, then to physically printing it) so you need to get color, detail, clarity & sharpness spot on, as the judges are very pre-eminent and sticklers for overall quality. I have also, like a number of members here, got through to the Finals of the BBC Veolia Awards (though sadly I have not won an award yet), and recently had nine images selected for “OutdoorPhotographer” magazine in four different disciplines.

My work has appeared in various magazines including “BBC Wildlife” & “Outdoor Photographer,” high-end travel companies, commissions, and various websites. I’ve sold images from my own website as well.

What was it about photography that first drew you in?
    I have always enjoyed wildlife and that, perhaps, stems from outdoor activities such as fishing, where you spend a lot of solitary time outdoors enjoying the natural world; plus, I adore animals in all shapes, sizes and forms.

What keeps you coming back for more?
    I am constantly learning. Each time you take your camera out you hone things. The more you understand your camera, the more it becomes an extension of you and things then become instinctive.

Alison says that my best image is always going to be ‘the next one’ and I think it’s that yearning for getting a better photograph that keeps me coming back for more.

Whose work do you most admire and why?
    Firstly, it has to be Andy Rouse because of his superb vision and wealth of knowledge and because he is someone who always puts the animals first & foremost. Plus, he is a true storyteller! I also admire Nick Brandt and Dereck & Beverley Joubert for how they portray their animals and the medium used. I also admire Joe Cornish for his stunning Landscapes.

How have you personally grown and/or changed because of your love of photography?
    Wildlife photography is difficult because you spend a lot of time researching, planning,and waiting to get the perfect set-ups for your images. Understanding animals and their behaviors is a big factor in getting quality images. If you can gain their trust, you will be rewarded tenfold.

During my time here at BPN, I have mentioned that it is good to occasionally put the camera down and just watch what is going on around you. Living your life behind a lens can become rather solitary and, by setting down the camera, you get the opportunity to see the bigger picture (or, more importantly, another angle in which to photograph your subject!)

Has your photographic style changed over time? If so, how?
    I have always threatened to take only a 70-200mm or a wider lens on a trip to make me shoot differently or to include more habitat but, sadly, it appears the 500mm lens has been surgically attached to my arm! When I do opt for a wider approach it is very rewarding so I do suggest to others that they shoot wider, knowing they have not yet fallen into the arms of the 500mm!

How has holding a camera to your eye changed the way you interact with the world around you?
    Yes, overall, it has changed how I interact with the world around me. I have become far more passionate about the animals that share our planet and I am keen to promote anything to protect the tiger which, to me, is the most majestic of animals. Also, having had the privilege to photograph Polar bears, it is hard to believe that this animal could soon disappear within the next 30 years.

How long have you been involved with BPN?
    I have been involved with BPN for only a very short period of time, some 2.5 years, and within the first four months was offered the position of Wildlife moderator - which was a real privilege. It’s good fun and has recently been very rewarding with some of the contributors here, plus the interaction with the other moderators. It also provides a good network too, where exchanges of information, locations and images have happened outside of the forum and created some excellent relationships.

How has being involved in our forums changed your photography?
    There have been some fantastic nuggets of information given freely here which has enhanced either the way I shoot or tweaked my post-production skills. The tutorials are excellent and a testimony to the depth of knowledge that can be found here.

What’s been the best piece of advice you’ve received here at BPN?
    Thati s a tough one, although “shoot wider” is something I now do try to think about. Also, one from James Shadle is,”let’s have fun and promote the Community of BPN”.

Got any advice for future photographers?
    Look, watch, listen, ask, and distill from the feedback offered and, if you are unsure on what has been suggested, simply speak up, as we have all been there. If you do not ask you will never know. If you understand the problem, you can solve it, so there is no such thing as a silly question.

We all have different ways we work. Robert Amoroso & Morkel Erasmus may go into more depth on how to do things, with an almost step-by-step approach;however, I tend to suggest without going into too much detail. The reason being is that I want people to experiment with the various suggestions. In that way, I feel you will understand more about what each component in post-processing can do. Moving a particular slider all the way from one end to the other will show graphically what happens, then you can move things back to the desired level. In doing so, you will have a greater understanding of the features available to you and what effect it can create. Likewise, playing with the compensation levels in your camera or DOF will also show you what is available to you, but each to their own and no route is best, only the one that helps you develop.

What’s currently at the top of your photography dream list?
    I would like to go back to photographing Grizzly & Polar bears, along withTigers.

We’ve all heard the phrase, “You can’t take it with you” but if you COULD take it with you, what one camera body and lens would you strap around your neck for all of eternity and why?
    Thecurrent MKIV and 500mm lens.

Anything else you want to add?
    You can never buy experience...

Name:  Cheetah.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  243.6 KB

Name:  Polar-bear-head-shot-BPN.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  231.7 KB

Name:  Tiger.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  239.5 KB

Name:  Pelican.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  245.3 KB

Name:  Katmai-River-Otter-BPN.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  248.0 KB
    Last edited by Julie Kenward; 02-03-2012 at 05:54 PM.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul, Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another wonderful interview, thanks Julie.

Roman Kurywczak

Thanks Jules!!! It's great to finally get to know Steve a bit better in the interview! Steve has a great style and I look forward to finally meeting him one day in the field! Till that day, cheers!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice to meet you, Steve! A fine interview, Julie!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice interview and interesting to find out more about one of the most helpful people out there..thanks Julie.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, another interesting and informative interview. Thanks to both of you!
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another wonderful interview and stunning image of Tiger Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice interview and stunning shots! Thanks Jules and Steve

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the extremely kind words, however, what is the most rewarding part for me and dare I say for other Mods & members too, is to see how people grow and develop through the collective advice here on the Forum.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great to get to know more about you Steve, and stunning images.

Well done Julie, another great interview.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great interview Steve & Jules. I hope to meet you both some day.
    Andrew

Brendan Dozier

Enjoyed learning more about you Steve, and though I don't post much in wildlife, I do like to view the wonderful posts there. I see how helpful your comments are, especially in regards to getting accurate, natural color. Thanks for another great interview, Jules.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great read and the "Mr detail" nickname is well deserved.

I am looking forward to meeting you later this month.

Jamie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to learn a bit more about you Steve!
    gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fun interview, thanks Steve and Jules!!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys, I really am an old softie.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Really great interview Steve. It has been so nice to see your helpful critiques in Wildlife. I am truly blown away by the quality of images posted in that forum.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve and Julie. Great work.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I read this quite a while ago but didn't get round to drop a comment.
    Insightful interview with "Mr Detail", I might also add "Mr Helpful" as he always jumps in to assist our members with all kinds of processing suggestions and in-the-field advice.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you MR PERFECT and thank you Julie, for this wonderful and very informative interview .
    And Steve thank you for all the help and tips , you gave me so far here on BPN and somewhere else,hope you keep alive a long time on BPN and elsewhere to let others also participate from your skills , if they wish.

Cheers from here in Germany

Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Mr K.....Its great to get to know more about you. And again I would like to thank you for all the time you have taken and all your interest shown in my progress. The help you have given me, advice and encouragement over the past 2 and a half years on BPN is so very much appreciated.

All the best mate,
    Dumay

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

very interesting, informative. Nice to get to know you better, Steve. Stunning images. And thanks, Julie. Good questions, good detail.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Julie for this wonderful interview ! Extremely late on this but had no idea that such an interview exists. I am also very thankful to Steve for time and again helping me out on the wildlife forum ( obviously Rachel Morkel Andreas and other members do their best for newcomers like me ).

PS : The images are wonderful , especially that of the Tiger !!!