Thread: Brown Hare.

Don Davis

Default Brown Hare.

Brown Hare as the mist is lifting and the sun breaking through i managed this shot of the hare as i was walking across farmland,temp and sharping done in photoshop cs3.

s/s 1/250

f.5.6

iso 500.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don and a big welcome to the Wildlife forum.

In case you have not seen this link, it might be worth a quick read, as it identifies some of the key info we like included when posting an image. Obviously you may wish not to to include chapter & verse, but it all helps us, help you, in terms of feedback and others who look at the thread.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...m-Time-to-Time

Therefore if you could certainly include the make of camera & lens used, plus any other info like cropping of the image ie slight or big etc, etc and if there are any key points you would like advice, help, or feedback on.

All the best
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Don Davis

Hi Steve ok i alway`s use Canon gear and i alway`s use same set-up its just my preference and not every bodies cup of tea but as i have said on other post`s i do go out with the intention of getting a moving subject.

Gear
    Canon mk4 Lens 300mm F2.8. plus Canon 2.0 extender, i never use Flash and i never use a tripod but i dont advise this to others its just my preference cheers Don.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don - welcome to the wildlife forum. Nice low pov and soft light on this but unfortunately a major problem with the shot is that the hare is both angled and looking away from you. There's a long thread on head angles (HA) started by Arthur Morris (I think it's in the Educational Resource forum) that you may want to read through. The hare is also slightly too centered in the frame for my taste. This is a great place to learn lots about photography and post processing. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, you have to make the most of these moments as these animals can be quite skittish, or at times, do exactly what you want them to do and come up close due to their inquisitive nature.

I think the key point is the animal is looking away from the viewer (never ideal ), therefore 180 degree turn would have him the right way with the slight HA looking to camera, hopefully with the nice light you had catching the side of his/her body and side of the face. I like the soft light & colours of the FG & BKG including the slight OOF vegetation coming in from the LHS, however having the light blade of grass top LHC is annoying, but can be easily fixed. Getting as low as possible will create an excellent POV with good eye contact, although perhaps easier said than done, unless you use a bag or hide.

Hopefully there will be better occasions to get this guy, so look forward to seeing more from the of the fruits of your labour.

No need to worry about documenting flash or tripod, unless it is an integral part of your shooting set-up. Might suggest upping the ISO to 800 just to give yourself a bit more SS, as the old 2x is not that great, but still gives you the flexibility of focus points.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Don...I love the light hitting this hare...and the low angle you achieved. Body/head position as mentioned is less-than-ideal and I do wish it was turned more towards you.
    Crop-wise I would've liked a bit more space in front of the hare.
    I am looking forward to seeing more of your work on here...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Don Davis

Thanks to all Don.