Thread: Image Posting Instructions

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Image Posting Instructions

How to post an image.

1. Click on "New Thread" in the forum of your choice.

2. When window is open you will see a section "Additional Options", click on "Manage Attachments"

3. When attachment window opens you will see a "browse" button. This is the one you will most likely use to upload an image from your computer to the host computer paying close attention to the posting guidelines for size, etc. Once you find the file on your computer click the upload button to the right of the browse button.

4. After upload is complete, go to your message window and fill in your "Title" then in the "Message Window" give as much info as you can to help those who will critique your image. This includes but is not limited to conditions, camera, settings (ISO, f/stop, Shutter speed, support, flash). Anything else you can think of? If no > "Preview Post".

5. Clicking "Preview Post" first will show you what everyone who opens your post will see. If there is something missing, go back to your open window and add it then click Preview Post again....do this until you are satisfied with your post then click Submit

Still having trouble posting an image? Leave a message here and we will try our best to answer it.Once you get it right it will be second nature, it may seem daunting at first but give it a shot!! :)

Art Kornienko

Can't seem to find what happened to my "manage attachements" option when using New Thread? I use to have it.

David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Kornienko View Post
    Can't seem to find what happened to my "manage attachements" option when using New Thread? I use to have it.
    Me either. How come my option for attachments is gone?

Axel Hildebrandt

Art and David,

The option to upload images to the BPN server is reserved for members. You can host your images on your webspace and link to them using the 'insert image' button at the top or become a member.

David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    Art and David,

The option to upload images to the BPN server is reserved for members. You can host your images on your webspace and link to them using the 'insert image' button at the top or become a member.
    Really. I already uploaded 3 images that weren't linked to a website nor was I a member when I uploaded them.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Really. I already uploaded 3 images that weren't linked to a website nor was I a member when I uploaded them.
    Yes, really. :) It was possible during the time when the forum was rebuilt after the software upgrade.

David S.

Yes, really. :) It was possible during the time when the forum was rebuild after the software upgrade.
    And this software upgrade was done in the last 3 days?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David. Please refer to the following link for a statement on image uploading (see #3). BPN has been going through a challenging software upgrade, and there have been a variety of glitches that either enabled or disabled certain features temporarily. BPN's policy on image uploading has remained unchanged through all of the technical hiccups. Hope this helps.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/guidelines.aspx
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Russ Chantler

I just uploaded an image using the "insert image" button. That seems to work, but no thumbnail shows on the forum page. How does one make that happen?

Oops - never mind - it just showed up. Seems to take a minute or two.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Chantler View Post
    I just uploaded an image using the "insert image" button. That seems to work, but no thumbnail shows on the forum page. How does one make that happen?
    I fixed it for you. I think there was no space between the image and the text.

Tim Bryant

Just joined today and it says that I CANNOT post attachments. Am I on probation since I'm new, or do you guys already know how bad my pics are?

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bryant View Post
    Just joined today and it says that I CANNOT post attachments. Am I on probation since I'm new, or do you guys already know how bad my pics are?
    The last sentence made me laugh. :) Welcome to BPN, Tim! Only members can upload images to the BPN server. Contributors can link to the image and use their own webspace by clicking on the 'insert image' button above. Let me know if you need help.

Caleb Royer

I just joined today also and did not know how to upload photos, thanks for the help.

THANKS

Caleb Royer

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't see the "manage attachments" window when I try to post a new thread. ??

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Filemon Lopez View Post
    I don't see the "manage attachments" window when I try to post a new thread. ??
    Only members can see this option. You are listed as contributor but you can still link to images on your own webspace. If there is an issue with your membership, please PM James Shadle.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Only members can see this option. You are listed as contributor but you can still link to images on your own webspace. If there is an issue with your membership, please PM James Shadle.
    Axel, I renewed my subsription on 4/11 and have yet to be able to post images. I tried to reach James with no response. Any advice as to next steps?

Fabs Forns

Axel, I renewed my subsription on 4/11 and have yet to be able to post images. I tried to reach James with no response. Any advice as to next steps?
    Filemon, I PMed James on the issue, thanks for bringing it up!

Axel Hildebrandt

Your membership has been renewed and you should be able to post now. Let's see some images. :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your membership has been renewed and you should be able to post now. Let's see some images. :)
    Awesome! Thanks for your help.

Tom Judd

I think I am a member - I was able to log in OK. I tried to follow the instructions for starting a new thread. No "manage attachments" under "additional options." Insert image appears to be looking for a URL. My image is on my hard drive. How to I post?

Tom Judd

Fabs Forns

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Judd View Post
    I think I am a member - I was able to log in OK. I tried to follow the instructions for starting a new thread. No "manage attachments" under "additional options." Insert image appears to be looking for a URL. My image is on my hard drive. How to I post?

Tom Judd
    Tom, if you didn't pay you are a Forum Contributor and you need to have your image hosted on your own, Membership is only $20 a year and we will host your image and you become eligible for the Image of the Week contest.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is this a legal ?
    i have read here that a user can post link to his image hosted somewhere and by that way he can post for critique.
    just wanted to make sure if i am not overrule.

want to start putting critique request for my images. but i am not a member yet. just a user.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by mitalpatel View Post
    Is this a legal ?
    i have read here that a user can post link to his image hosted somewhere and by that way he can post for critique.
    just wanted to make sure if i am not overrule.

want to start putting critique request for my images. but i am not a member yet. just a user.
    You can certainly post images for critique and link to your own webspace. Just use the yellow 'insert image' button above the text box to link to your image.

Sinh Nhut Nguyen

Hello,

How can I resize my image to meet the forum's file size limit of 200KB and still retain the maximum dimension of 1024x800? I've been playing around with various file sizes, even at 750x500 the file is still larger than 200kb.

I use DPP to convert my file to JPEG, then using CS2 to resize and edit.

Thank you for all your help.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen View Post
    Hello,

How can I resize my image to meet the forum's file size limit of 200KB and still retain the maximum dimension of 1024x800? I've been playing around with various file sizes, even at 750x500 the file is still larger than 200kb.

I use DPP to convert my file to JPEG, then using CS2 to resize and edit.

Thank you for all your help.
    In CS2 you can 'save for web' and adjust the quality to get below 200kB.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Axel.. I save my horizontal images to 908 pix wide, but they appear in the thread to be much larger., should I be making the images 1024 wide for this forum??

My images look "stretched" .. just wondering why.

maybe my browser setting? I looked using IE and firefox, same thing... also, I am using a laptop, 1280 x 800 max.
    Last edited by Raymond Barlow; 06-25-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Raymond, are you talking about your recent bluebird image? If so, it looks proportionately OK from my monitor...

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Barlow View Post
    Hi Axel.. I save my horizontal images to 908 pix wide, but they appear in the thread to be much larger., should I be making the images 1024 wide for this forum??

My images look "stretched" .. just wondering why.

maybe my browser setting? I looked using IE and firefox, same thing... also, I am using a laptop, 1280 x 800 max.
    I don't think that is an issue with the forum software. I always see the correct dimensions and no aspect ratio distortions. Could it be your computer, do you have another one that you could check? What do you see when you post an image at 908 pixels and check the image properties in the browser?

P.S. I checked your bluebird image, it looks perfectly fine, the image is 908px × 592px. When your laptop monitor is set to its native resolution you should see no distortion.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't think that is an issue with the forum software. I always see the correct dimensions and no aspect ratio distortions. Could it be your computer, do you have another one that you could check? What do you see when you post an image at 908 pixels and check the image properties in the browser?

P.S. I checked your bluebird image, it looks perfectly fine, the image is 908px × 592px. When your laptop monitor is set to its native resolution you should see no distortion.
    ok, thanks., when I look at this image on my pbase, it looks fine, but in here it looks too large and soft., we do have a second laptop here, I will have a look... it may be a setting I have changed on this laptop for larger text due to my aging eyes., and diabetis.

thanks for your help.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Barlow View Post
    ok, thanks., when I look at this image on my pbase, it looks fine, but in here it looks too large and soft., we do have a second laptop here, I will have a look... it may be a setting I have changed on this laptop for larger text due to my aging eyes., and diabetis.

thanks for your help.
    In Firefox you can click on View > Zoom > Reset for the standard settings. I guess it is similar in IE.

Robert Campbell

I used to be able to post images too. Have just tried to link to an image of mine on the web - without success. Should the linked image appear in the preview?
    Robert

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    I used to be able to post images too. Have just tried to link to an image of mine on the web - without success. Should the linked image appear in the preview?
    Robert
    Robert, only forum members can host images on the BPN server. You can link to your own web space using the 'insert image' button above the text box and if you don't see the image in the preview mode, no one will.

Suzanne Huot

Hi James

I paid my membership dues two days ago and should be able to post attatchments ,However every time i try to post.the little box on the left says I may not post attatchments .
    could you please explain why this is not possible ,I am becoming quite frustrated by my efforts to join in this forum

Thank you and have a great day

Suzanne

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Suzanne,
    You paid with an E-check. We are not even notified of the payment until the check has cleared.
    As of right now the E-check has not cleared yet(takes 3-4 days).

Our moderators notified me of your concern last night and I went ahead and set up your account.
    Thanks for supporting BPN!

James

Russ Chantler

Default No thumbnail

Once again I posted using Insert Image & no thumbnail showed up. Am I doing something wrong?

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Chantler View Post
    Once again I posted using Insert Image & no thumbnail showed up. Am I doing something wrong?
    I just commented on your image and am not sure why there was no thumbnail since the image was in the thread.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Information on posting

Hello James,

I tried my first posting today and I can see the thumbnail... what's the problem?

Thanks Roger

Todd Levine

Hi James,
    I am trying to post my first image, but I am having some trouble. I don't see the manage attachments. It only gives me the ability to attach via http. Please help me understand the procedure.

thanks,

todd

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Levine View Post
    Hi James,
    I am trying to post my first image, but I am having some trouble. I don't see the manage attachments. It only gives me the ability to attach via http. Please help me understand the procedure.

thanks,

todd
    Todd,

Welcome to BPN! Only members can upload images to the BPN server. Participants can link the images from their website or some other image hosting service.

Todd Levine

thanks for getting back so fast. I starting reading another area and saw you need to be a member so I joined and it worked. I uploaded my forst of hopefully many photos. I look foward to some good feedback.

todd

ashrajan

I dont see manage attachments under additional options. I would like to add an image. Please help. Thanks.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

After you click on

check on the top of your screen you will find a sentence... just click on the box will appear starting with HTTP...

good luck

Axel Hildebrandt

Only forum members can upload their images to the BPN server. Participants can link to their own webspace using the button that Roger put in his post.