Thread: King Penguins And A Little Fur Seal

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default King Penguins And A Little Fur Seal

Attached Images Attached Images

I collected a number of video clips during a recent visit to South Georgia Island, on the way to the Antarctic Peninsula. My camera was a Nikon D7000 with a Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens, that I mounted on a BENRO C-169MB CF Travel Angel tripod with a Markins M-20 ball head. I used only the camera's built-in microphone to record sounds.

I've edited the clips and combined them using iMovie on my iMac. Where I could, I added sound segments from the iLife sound effects "Jingles" collection. But despite an annoying, roaring wind, I've kept the original sound tracks where King Penguins are feeding chicks, because I think that the sounds they and their chicks make are fascinating. Looking back at my experience, I wish I had taken my Rode VideoMic Pro microphone with the fuzzy wind shield, because I think it might have tamed the wind while retaining the vocalizations of the penguins. I hope to repeat the trip and will do that then.

So here is the YouTube link to my creation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLxgf...JGUclnV0oVqIaF.

To add a little color to this post, I've attached a screen shot from the beginning of the video, which I prepared for the web in PS CS5.

Please offer your comments and suggestions.

Norm

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I appreciate those who have looked at my little video. And if anyone would like to offer a comment for me or for others who might like to explore the possibilities of DSLR video, that would be nice.

My plan is to continue to develop my skills in DSLR video, because I think it breathes life into bird and animal behavior that still photos cannot capture.

Best regards and thanks again,

Norm

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Dulak View Post
    I appreciate those who have looked at my little video. And if anyone would like to offer a comment for me or for others who might like to explore the possibilities of DSLR video, that would be nice.

My plan is to continue to develop my skills in DSLR video, because I think it breathes life into bird and animal behavior that still photos cannot capture.

Best regards and thanks again,

Norm

Thanks, Norm. I agree that video adds a lot, and is also a lot more challenging than just a still image.. I would like to see more clips, but a couple clips were a little long with them just standing around. Splitting up the scenes with different penguins (standing around) would be improve interest, including a couple of wider scenes for context if you have them. Now all we need is smell and cold wind to add to the experience.

Thanks for posting. Please do more. Nicely done.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Clark; 02-03-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Roger. Those are all very good suggestions.

Norm

Robert Rommel

I tried to view the view, but receive a message that it has been removed. Look forward to seeing the penguins!

Robert

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rommel View Post
    I tried to view the view, but receive a message that it has been removed. Look forward to seeing the penguins!

Robert
    Sorry Robert! But I've revised the video by reducing the chick feeding sequences and have replaced the original. The new link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yyNG5R37oY.

Robert Rommel

Thanks for re-posting the video Norm. I enjoyed it very much and watched it several times! Two small issues for me. First, the framing in the second clip in the feeding segment seems a bit odd with chopping the penguins off at the feet. I would have preffered a close-up like the first segment or better yet a full-body shot like in the third feeding segment. Secondly, in general I found that the clips progressed in a logical way, telling a story from gathering together, to feeding, to cooling down. The fur seal felt a little bit disconnected to me. I guess I would have liked to have seen a short wide clip that had both the seal and the penguins together to bring a relation between the two before going to the close-up of the seal ignoring the penguins. Great work - makes me want to go to South Georgia Island myself!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rommel View Post
    Thanks for re-posting the video Norm. I enjoyed it very much and watched it several times! Two small issues for me. First, the framing in the second clip in the feeding segment seems a bit odd with chopping the penguins off at the feet. I would have preffered a close-up like the first segment or better yet a full-body shot like in the third feeding segment. Secondly, in general I found that the clips progressed in a logical way, telling a story from gathering together, to feeding, to cooling down. The fur seal felt a little bit disconnected to me. I guess I would have liked to have seen a short wide clip that had both the seal and the penguins together to bring a relation between the two before going to the close-up of the seal ignoring the penguins. Great work - makes me want to go to South Georgia Island myself!
    Thanks Robert.

Your suggestions are excellent. I would have liked to have more clips to incorporate, but one thing I found was a need to ration my time between video and still shots. We had only about 1-3 hours ashore to photograph, and that was a problem. But in the future I'll try to pick an expedition that will give me more time ashore.