Thread: Adelie Feather Detail Fract

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Adelie Feather Detail Fract

Attached Images Attached Images

I was gonna post the straight image which is a bit out of the box on its own but went with a Fracted version. Adelie Penguin feather detail: Paulet Island, Antarctica on my recent Southern Oceans trip.

Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS II lens with the 2X III TC and the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering-1/3stop:1/2000 sec. at f/10.

For lots more on the trip see the blog and BAA Bulletin #395.

Don't be shy; all honest comments are welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie;

Your imagination has no bounds, the crop alone was a stroke of genious!

Is that a rented tuxedo?

Love it

Gus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gus. I am considering nominating you as Chairman of the BAA Fan Club. Don't forget that it was Lady Denise who taught me all about Fractalius and helped me improve my creativity when it comes to Filters and Effects....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its a pretty neat abstract...

your blog came in today, that image of one pelican in focus and the rest blurred..really caught my eye

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, this is fantastic! Really my kind of image. I think that the ability to see the abstract in the concrete is essential for the artist, and you have shown that with this image. Plus, I just love all the little sparklies...
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lagasi View Post
    Its a pretty neat abstract... Your blog came in today, that image of one pelican in focus and the rest blurred..really caught my eye
    Thanks Paul. I think that you mean penguin not pelican .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Perkins View Post
    Hi Artie, this is fantastic! Really my kind of image. I think that the ability to see the abstract in the concrete is essential for the artist, and you have shown that with this image. Plus, I just love all the little sparklies...
    Thanks Kerry. I forgot to mention that I reduced the effect on the WHITEs with a Layer Mask and a 30% brush.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is a nice abstract. I like the composition and the fract work really puts it over the top.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Print it and hang it! This is terrific, I love the flow and the abstract comp. The B&W makes this sing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Lady D. The funny thing is that it is a color image!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Although I really like the balance, tone and detail in this image, I don't think you can improve on the exquisite look of unadulterated penguin feathers, as evolution has produced them.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    Although I really like the balance, tone and detail in this image, I don't think you can improve on the exquisite look of unadulterated penguin feathers, as evolution has produced them.
    I was waiting for someone to ask . So here's the optimized original.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-31-2012 at 10:33 AM.

13. Thanks Gus Hallgren thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both images are quite extremely creative and compelling, Artie.

Each would make a great candidate for a "Guess What This Is" thread.

Maybe that would be a fun Theme for the OOTB mods to consider in the future.
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Lens ™

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie. Good to see. You may have noticed that the light tone in the "black" feathers is actually bluish. You see this in Adélies and Chinstraps. It comes out a little in the image above but some experimenting with Levels and Curves (lightening and more contrast with an S-curve) brought it out nicely. If I were going to present the original image I would definitely increase the contrast in the dark areas to bring out the pattern (as in the Fractalius version). Also when I have done these in the past I go tighter for more detail in the individual feathers. Anyway, I love these sort of images- where interest is generated in an unexpected way.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, that's a strong abstract created with Fractalius. It looks like it could be an aerial shot of birds approaching the shoreline...or waves approaching the shore. Reducing the effects on the whites was a good call...the subtle midtones of the highlights add a depth and texture that wouldn't have been there otherwise. Nicely seen, nicely captured, and wonderfully processed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful, Park Avenue, while OP, Times Square . .

Love em both

Gus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

LOLOL..you know I learned a new word today "parapraxis". That's when a person wants to type a word like penguins but his fingers don't listen and they type pelicans. I always thought it was Dylexia. Bottom line is I really like that image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very, very cool! It makes me think of an MC Escher print, the kind with the repeating abstract-like elements. It is perfectly processed. You are an excellent student to Denise's teachings!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lagasi View Post
    LOLOL..you know I learned a new word today "parapraxis". That's when a person wants to type a word like penguins but his fingers don't listen and they type pelicans. I always thought it was Dyslexia. Bottom line is I really like that image.
    Thanks again. I call them brain typos.... Or brain lapses. Best news: they occur more frequently as you get older!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Bell View Post
    Very, very cool! It makes me think of an MC Escher print, the kind with the repeating abstract-like elements. It is perfectly processed. You are an excellent student to Denise's teachings!
    She is an excellent teacher. I have asked her a zillion times, "How did you know what filter or effect to you with that image that made it look so great?" Not sure that we got much past that but asking the question is a start.....

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur, this is a fabulous fract. I love the effect the filter had on the black feathers. The placement of the curve between the white and black feathers is perfect. Thanks to Denise and yourself I discovered Fractalius. Which filter to use? When in doubt use Fractalius or perhaps I am suffering from tunnel vision.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Knowing what this is, then seeing your wonderfully artistic interpretation of it (which as John stated, looks like a lovely blur of birds approaching a shoreline) really makes me appreciate the creativity here. Beautifully done, Artie. TFS.

Brendan Dozier

Love the abstract composition you created, Artie. Nicely seen. I like things about both images, and really like how you enhanced the textures using Fract.