Thread: Color Space: Shooting, Processing, and Printing

Threaded View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Color Space: Shooting, Processing, and Printing

Having sold my first image now I had to create a finished product for printing. Frankly, never expecting it to occur - the buyer did not find the image on my website & I live in a caravan which means no walls/no printing/no images to display - I never gave printing a serious thought.

My workflow was to shoot in Adobe RGB, process in Lightroom and Photoshop in Pro Photo color space, and convert to sRGB when saving for web posting.

Oh yeah , I also never gave enlargements a second thought.

To add to this, since I live in a caravan and travel full-time in Australia, I need a printer on whom I can rely because I will not see the final image that is mailed to the buyer.

My mentor recommended a printer that uses Adobe RGD for the printing profile. Price is OK; however, the size limit is 20x40 - my buyer wants the image without further cropping: 26x40.

I was referred to a printer by a friend who sells a fair number of large images; he has been very happy with the printer. This printer prints in sRGB!

Hmmmm

My friend is not concerned by printing in sRGB, he referred me to this older article: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/adobe-rgb.htm.

This is my friend's workflow:

I only shoot in RAW, Adobe RGB
    My workflow is basically KKYs
    Raw conversion is Adobe RGB 1998, 16 bit. 300 DPI
    Then Photoshop CS5 - colour settings North America prepress 2
    I also save as a tiif with layers as my mastercopy.
    Flatten -->resize and save as highest quality JPEG in sRGB for printing
    Given my circumstances I must use this printer. How would you process the image?

What color space would you convert to when converting your RAW image? Knowing that the image is going to be printed in sRGB, I am going to reprocess the image. Should I start with sRGB instead of Pro Photo?

All help greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by Jay Gould; 01-29-2012 at 06:10 AM.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.