Thread: King Penguins for Kids

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default King Penguins for Kids

Attached Images Attached Images

Just got back from a great Southern Oceans voyage: the Falklands, South Georgia, and Antarctica. This image was created with the tripod-mounted (Gitzo 3530 LS & Mongoose m3.6) Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II lens (at 110mm) with the EOS-5D MII. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/80 sec. at f/16 set manually.

King Penguins at St. Andrews Bay, South Georgia. Quasi-grunge Photomatix HDR plus Nik Color Efex Tonal Contrast. See more on my voyage at Home From the Southern Oceans Trip.

Don't be shy; all honest comments and critiques welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default This Just In...

For more St. Andrews Bay images and the complete story on the great day that I had on January 11, 2012, click here.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur, another beauty from the trip. I was hoping you'd grunge some penguins while there. Love the silver of water at the top and the birds on the rocks in the river. The overall coloration of the colony is also lovely.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow! an amazing site to see for sure. I love the composition and the processing adds some whimsy to this. Nicely done.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow... what a sight! I like groupings of chicks and their parents creating a confluence of colors! Grunge look makes it even more compelling. I am wondering in October if we will see this kind of sight... the chicks may still be hatching.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Indranil Sircar View Post
    Wow... what a sight! I like groupings of chicks and their parents creating a confluence of colors! Grunge look makes it even more compelling. I am wondering in October if we will see this kind of sight... the chicks may still be hatching.
    Thanks Indranil. We will be visiting several killer King Penguin colonies including Salisbury Plain, St. Andrews Bay, and Fortuna.... And spending ten or eleven days on South Georgia. If you are interested in learning more about this trip--it is not mine--let me know via e-mail as there might be a cancellation or two.

Brendan Dozier

This must have been amazing to see in person, Artie. All the penguins with their variations of color, combined with the HDR give this a kind of pointilllistic painting look. It also reminds me a little of an illustration you might see in The New Yorker magazine - there's got to be a humorous caption to go with this.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie;

What a marvelous photographer you are. You definitely live up to your reputation. Your photos of the Penquins tell a story that words cannot express. When my 2 year old Grandson visits from Israel in March he will have a ball with viewing all the birds on BPN, especially yours.

Thanks for the presentations.

Gus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I imagine the noise must be amazing, if you were downwind, that could have been wild. Regadless, I would have loved to be there. Retirement coming soon.

The image color yellows, blues and reds make a lovely pattern. The stream running in the foreground breaks in up nicely. Lovely effects and composition.

I checked out the blog, cool photos...Love it

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Dozier View Post
    This must have been amazing to see in person, Artie. All the penguins with their variations of color, combined with the HDR give this a kind of pointilllistic painting look. It also reminds me a little of an illustration you might see in The New Yorker magazine - there's got to be a humorous caption to go with this.
    Thanks Brendan. Your point about New Yorker magazine put a smile on my face.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Hallgren View Post
    Artie; What a marvelous photographer you are. You definitely live up to your reputation. Your photos of the Penquins tell a story that words cannot express. When my 2 year old Grandson visits from Israel in March he will have a ball with viewing all the birds on BPN, especially yours. Thanks for the presentations. Gus
    Gus, Your more than kind words are greatly appreciated. As I said on the blog, I have long been blessed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lagasi View Post
    I imagine the noise must be amazing, if you were downwind, that could have been wild. Regadless, I would have loved to be there. Retirement coming soon. The image color yellows, blues and reds make a lovely pattern. The stream running in the foreground breaks in up nicely. Lovely effects and composition. I checked out the blog, cool photos...Love it
    Thanks Paul for your kind words and for visiting the blog. It was beyond amazing. Skilled photographer and friend Paul Mckenzie--who travels far more extensively than I do--commented on the blog as follows:

St.Andrews Bay - hard to beat as a wildlife spectacle anywhere on this planet. Looks like there were more penguins there than when i visited in mid-November. All the images are great. Can't wait to get back later this year.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This makes me think of a "Where is Waldo" illustration! The grunge effect works very well and I like the subtle layers of colors created by the water, adults and youngsters. I'll be on the trip this fall and am truly looking forward to it. PS. I'll try to remember to carry thick garbage bags in case it rains.