Thread: Maluti Mountain Vista

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Maluti Mountain Vista

Attached Images Attached Images

After rain and mist had shrouded this view from our log cabin in the Maluti mountains for 3 days, it finally broke late on the 3rd afternoon, affording me an opportunity to (try to) capture the splendour of this vista on camera.

Techs:
    Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 10mm
    f16 @ ISO-100
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkel.....This image really draws my eye nicely into the misty distance. Nice work!

3. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely colours in this landscape Morkel and I do like the way the lines of the valley and light lead the eye through the image on a diagonal (I like diagonal lines in images!). The rocks especially have nice detail and tone.

5. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Brendan Dozier

Wonderful color and open landscape scene, Morkel. Like the light and lines, there is a nice balance between the brighter FG on rt and the shaded hill on the lft., and eye flows nicely down to the distant hills. The grooves in the hill make me think of that term "re-entrant" from doing orienteering in the past. Nice work, sir!

7. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Morkel..!

I like the balance you have captured here, you have warm foreground colour against cool distance, lots of light vs shade, interest in the foreground as well as the distance and nice leading line from what is a magnificent view...

DON

9. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the kind comments, folks. It's a place I am definitely going to visit again!
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a fantastic spot! Excellent photo, Morkel! I have a question though... that says that it was shot with a Canon and it says in your avatar that you are a member of Nikon Professional Services. Won't the Nikon police show up at your door and confiscate all your non-regulation gear? lol

12. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fragale View Post
    that says that it was shot with a Canon and it says in your avatar that you are a member of Nikon Professional Services. Won't the Nikon police show up at your door and confiscate all your non-regulation gear? lol
    this image was captured about 3 months before I made a wholesale switch to the dark side - I have many photos in my archive that were still taken with the 7D that I might yet post
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the view and the image even more :-) Mountain retreat @ Golden Gate ??

15. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning view. I like that it's still a bit hazy. All strong points of the image have already been pointed out. Well done!

17. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Kerr View Post
    Like the view and the image even more :-) Mountain retreat @ Golden Gate ??
    Yep - spot on Craig. Ever stayed there?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

MorkMan, lovely!!

Have you got a little bit more room on the RHS; how much crop? If I were mine I wouldn't want the yellow plant on the rock against the RHS. I would either remove it or hopefully crop wider.

BTW, congrats on the Mod Hat; I missed the announcement.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

20. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jay...both for your comments and your congratulatory wishes. I hope I can add as much to this forum as my predecessors did...

This image is full frame from side to side and top to bottom. In hindsight I wish I'd composed a bit wider on the RHS...but the slope I was on is VERY steep so I held onto whatever solid position I could find as the hillside is "unobstructed" and I would've tumbled down for many hundreds of meters before coming to an abrupt halt at the bottom in a shallow river
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mate, clone out the one yellow line!

P.S.: I know you will not!!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

23. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    Mate, clone out the one yellow line!

P.S.: I know you will not!!
    Which line??
    And what do you know I "will not"? (sorry - might be my tired brain?)
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The yellow piece of plant on the top rock in thevRH edge.
    Cheers, Jay

26. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkel - Yes, my wife and I stayed there one very cold winter weekend - The mountains turn a wonderful golden colour, from the dry brown grass.
    Need to visit in Autumn, but in fairness, any time will work :-)

28. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nicely designed image with some nice clouds. The top of that tree is a bit scraggly....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

30. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkel, a little late to the party but I really like the tones in this image and the way the valley cuts diagonally through the image to take us into the distance. Nice capture.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    Thanks Matt!

this image was captured about 3 months before I made a wholesale switch to the dark side - I have many photos in my archive that were still taken with the 7D that I might yet post
    Your transition to the dark side seems to be working for you... but this is also good. So I guess BOTH are capable of lovely photographs, eh? Good to know! I'm sure there are those in the world that would be doubtful. I will send them to you. lol

33. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Craig, Artie (nice to see you here!), Andrew and Matt for your comments.
    Craig - a lovely place and I would love to go again. Maybe in winter when there might be some snow...?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fragale View Post
    Your transition to the dark side seems to be working for you... but this is also good. So I guess BOTH are capable of lovely photographs, eh? Good to know! I'm sure there are those in the world that would be doubtful. I will send them to you. lol
    Matt - certainly both brands are capable tools. I always say it's the monkey behind the viewfinder that makes the image . However, I would be lying if I made little of the effect the "switch" has had on my photography, particularly since I can now shoot comfortably in much less light and not worry about noise.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Robert Amoruso

Hi Morkel,

I thought I had commented on this one before leaving for the space coast festival. In any event, I agree with comments above. Great lines lead the viewer right into the image.

36. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post