Thread: Current conditions / best spots in SW Florida?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Current conditions / best spots in SW Florida?

I'm planning to spend the third week of January in SW Florida. In addition to a day on the Hooptie Deux, I hope to visit the following:

Ft. DeSoto
    Venice Rookery
    Cape Coral (which is the best of the sites for photographing the owls?)
    Sanibel (Ding, Lighthouse, etc.)
    Bunche Beach
    Little Estero
    Lovers Key (Dog Beach)
    Corkscrew Swamp

Can anyone tell me what the current conditions are in any of these locations? Is there anything else I shouldn't miss, or any of the above that I should skip based on current conditions? What happened to the report of an advancing Red Tide?

Any and all advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

BILL, SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE THE SPOTS! CALL ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE EVERGLADES, I'M JUST BACK FROM THREE DAYS OF SHOOTING AND CAMPING... DON 561 212-7358
    WHOOPS,,,CAP KEY IS STUCK ON THE LAPTOP!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hamilton Jr. View Post
    BILL, SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE THE SPOTS! CALL ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE EVERGLADES, I'M JUST BACK FROM THREE DAYS OF SHOOTING AND CAMPING... DON 561 212-7358
    WHOOPS,,,CAP KEY IS STUCK ON THE LAPTOP!
    Thanks Don. I guess a day at Corkscrew is the closest I'll get to the Everglades on this trip.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sure bill, no problem... hopefully the painted buntings, and the song birds will be at the swamp as well!! Happy imaging!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill:

I don't have too much information at this time but can offer the following:

Ft. DeSoto is not bad at all right now but no breeding colors until mid-to-late February. However, the subjects are numerous and there's rarely a bad day at FD. It's $5 a day now to enter the Park.

Venice Rookery - I was there about a month ago and there were 2 nests with BGH chicks in them. One of them was pretty good to photograph. It's not the same however now that they cut the trees.
    Cape Coral - The nests vary from year to year. The library is usually a good bet though.
    Sanibel (Ding, Lighthouse, etc.) - I have no info on Ding but did see below that it was good late last year.
    Little Estero - Can rarely go here and get a bad picture but I am told not too much activity as of about a month ago. That could have changed!!

Have a great trip and looking forward to seeing some of your images upon your return.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much, Marina. That's very helpful information. I know I planned the trip a month or two too early for breeding plumage, but this was the only time I could sneak it in. I've been to Sanibel and Little Estero before, and look forward to returning to them. But I've never been to Fort DeSoto or Venice Rookery. Based on what you've said, I'll definitely stop by both places (but may not hit the tides just right, given my schedule).

At Cape Coral, I'll definitely try the Library. Are Veteran's Park and the City Hall also worth trying? (I have no idea what BG's I'm likely to find, and whether lighting is best in AM or PM, so I've allowed a few days.)

Thanks for the feedback.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill:

I don't know about Veteran's Park but I used to love going to the City Hall area and I felt the PM was better. At the library you can do either AM or PM b/c there are nests on both sides. Never been to Veterans Park at this time of year but would guess either AM or PM for that as well.

If you get down here and need help, PM me with your # and I"ll call you back and help.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook