Thread: Interview with Avian Moderator Doug Brown

Julie Kenward

Default Interview with Avian Moderator Doug Brown

Doug Brown is one of our Avian forum moderators who lives in Albuquerque, NM with Kristin, his lovely wife of less than two years. He has two children of his own; Alisa is a freshman in college and Dan is a high school junior. Kristin also has two children; Phil is a high school senior and Sarah is a high school freshman. Doug finds it incredible that they’ll soon be empty nesters in a few short years!

Doug was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA, but has spent time living in Ann Arbor, MI, Cincinnati, OH, and Palo Alto, CA during his education and training. Albuquerque has been his home now for the past 15 years.

He learned basic darkroom techniques in grade school and purchased his first SLR as a teenager (the infamous Canon AE-1). His first digital SLR was a Canon 20D that he purchased in October of 2005. He headed down to the Bosque del Apache with his 20D and a 400mm f/5.6 in November of 2005, his head spinning from all the big glass on display there! Doug thought he took roughly 1,000 pictures that day and claims that 997 of them were absolutely awful - but that was the day that he caught the bird photography bug!

To see more of Doug's beautiful avian images, check out his BIF Album here at BPN or stop by his website, Doug Brown Photography.

So let’s find out a little more about Doug Brown, our avian moderator extraordinaire…

Do you consider yourself to be a professional, semi-pro, or student?

I consider myself a pro, but on a part-time basis. (Does that make me a semi-pro???) I earn my photographic living leading workshops, and rarely take the time to sell images.

If you’re not a pro, what’s your day job?

I’m a cardiac anesthesiologist when I’m not out taking pictures. I’m fortunate in that I love both of my jobs; they give my life a semblance of balance.

What do you do when you’re not out with a camera in hand?

Between my day job, my moderator duties, and my workshops, I don’t have a ton of free time. I try to attend all of my kids’ games and performances. (And, if I’m going to be honest, lately I’ve been hooked on “Words with Friends”.)

What make/model of equipment do you use on a regular basis?

My primary body is a Canon 1D Mark IV, and I keep a 7D as a backup body. My main lens is a 600mm f/4, which I use greater than 90% of the time. I also own the 500mm f/4, 400mm f/5.6, 70-300mm L, 70-200 f/4 IS (this one’s going up for sale), and 100mm f/2.8 macro. The shorter focal length glass gets most of its use in Costa Rica. Although I hand hold the vast majority of the time, I have a Gitzo tripod and a Wimberley II gimbal head.

What editing software do you use?

I’m a fan of Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5. I use the Neat Image plug-in in Photoshop.

Do you only shoot digital or do you also shoot film/slides?

I’m strictly digital at this point.

What classifications (or genres) of photography are you primarily known for or interested in?
    I’m a bird photographer first and foremost, although I dabble in landscape and macro from time to time. Hand held flight photography is my specialty.

When you’re not out photographing one of your primary interests, what else do you enjoy photographing?
    Other than taking snapshots with my iPhone, the only photography I do is when I take pictures of my kids playing sports or performing in musical or theatrical productions.

Would you say your biggest strength lies in your technical skills with the camera, your artistic expression/interpretation, or your post-processing skills?
    My technical and post-processing skills definitely trump my artistic ones. Hand held BIF photography is both technically and physically demanding. I tend to keep the bird in the center of the frame and do my composing in post.

Do you conduct any classes, seminars, or workshops?
    I currently lead a workshop in Costa Rica with Greg Basco and one in Southern California with Jim Neiger. I’m thinking about expanding my workshop offerings in 2012.

Have you ever been published? Won any awards?
    I was runner up in the Animal Portraits category of the 2010 BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition. My photos have been published in a number of magazines and books, and the iBird app uses quite a few of my images.

What was it about photography that first drew you in?
    In all honesty I don’t remember! I love that digital photography requires mastery of so many different skills: artistry, camera know-how, hand-eye coordination, quick thinking, and post-processing (to name a few). I got into bird photography because my (then) girlfriend and (now) wife was a birdwatcher. I thought I’d take photos while she used her binoculars. I had no idea what a popular pastime bird photography was - but that all changed the first time I went to the Bosque!

What keeps you coming back for more?
    I love being out in the field, taking my own photos and sharing my knowledge with workshop participants. I have a list of target species that I’m constantly updating (the Great Gray Owl and Snowy Owl are #1 and #2 on my list) and that keeps things fresh. Most of all, I enjoy the camaraderie of photographing with good friends!

Whose work do you most admire and why?
    I admire all the hotshot photographers who post on Avian but I also admire the less-experienced BPN members and participants who, through image critiques and hard work, have significantly raised their level of photography over time.

Do you have any current mentors or muses?
    Anyone who’s rocked your world with their knowledge of photography? Artie Morris was the photographer who influenced me the most early on; his “Art of Bird Photography” was my bible. Jim Neiger is another influential photographer in my world; our interests and styles are very similar and he’s taught me a lot. There are a number of other photographers whose work I admire, including Greg Basco and Alan Murphy.

How have you personally grown and/or changed because of your love of photography?
    More than anything, I’ve met (both online and in person) some great people from all over the world. BPN makes the photographic world a much smaller place. I’m definitely more patient than I used to be. I can stand out in the field for hours at a time, and I actually enjoy the solitude. I’m much more in tune with what’s happening in the world around me. The downside is that I spend too much time in front of the computer, either on the forums or processing images.

Has your photographic style changed over time? If so, how?
    I’ve gravitated towards flight photography over time and, with practice, I’ve gotten much better at it. I’m definitely more aware of what I’m seeing in the viewfinder. I pay attention to backgrounds, head angles, exposure, and shadows, even while tracking BIF. I can visualize the shot I want and try to nail the frame when the opportunity presents itself.

How has holding a camera to your eye changed the way you interact with the world around you?
    I can’t help but evaluate the everyday world in terms of the photographic possibilities. Similarly, as a physician, I find myself thinking about the ease of performing various procedures on the people I encounter each day.

How long have you been involved with BPN?
    I first heard about BPN from Jim Neiger a couple of months before the site went live. I joined on ‘Day One’ and became an avian moderator a few months later.

How has being involved in our forums changed your photography?
    It’s definitely inspired me to become a better photographer. I’m always pushing myself to hone my techniques, both in the field and in front of the computer.

What’s been the best piece of advice you’ve gotten here at BPN?
    Remember that people are critiquing the image and not you as a person.

What forum do you spend most of your time in? Why?
    I’m an avian guy. I do browse the other forums (in particular, the gear forum) but my passion and expertise is in bird photography.

Got any advice for future photographers?
    It doesn’t matter how fancy your gear is. The basic photographic principles don’t change so get to know them forwards and backwards with whatever equipment you’ve got. Image critique is one of the best ways to improve your photography and BPN is about the best place I’ve found to have your images evaluated by some of the best photographers in the world!

What’s currently at the top of your photography dream list?
    Africa is definitely a top contender. I want to spend a month there doing bird photography for a couple of weeks and general safari photography for an additional two weeks. The Indian photographers on Avian have helped move that country up to the top of my list; the raptor images that they post are simply phenomenal! Alaska is also another place I’d like to visit (for their eagles and eiders).

We’ve all heard the phrase, “You can’t take it with you” but if you COULD take it with you, what one camera body and lens would you strap around your neck for all of eternity and why?
    You could bury me with my 600mm and my Mark IV. Then again, maybe my 500mm is a better choice; there would be a little more room in the coffin for me!

Name:  20111119-_V5C2270-Snow Goose-crop.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  250.5 KB

Name:  20110129-_V5C1018-Keel-billed-Toucan-crop.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  190.4 KB

Name:  20100305-_V5C4903-Barred-Owl-crop.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  195.0 KB

Name:  20110129-_V5C1069-Brown-Hooded-Parrot-crop.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  196.4 KB

Name:  20110706-_V5C5633-Elegant-Tern-5x7.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  191.2 KB
    Last edited by Julie Kenward; 12-26-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another great interview Julie. Doug, Im a big fan of your work, and great to get to know a little more about you.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice interview. Good to know more about you.

Roman Kurywczak

Another fantastic interview Jules. Nice to meet you Doug and looking foward to the in the field meeting soon!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just for kicks, here's a flight photo from that fateful first day at the Bosque in 2005. One of my 3 keepers!

Name:  Bosque 702-1024.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  241.0 KB

Canon 20D, 400mm, f/5.6, 1/1250, ISO 400, +1 2/3 EC, Tv mode, hand held
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Julie Kenward

I'd be pretty happy with that one, Doug!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very much enjoyed this little window into your world Doug. Thanks Jules.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another excellent interview. Doug, I know flight is your specialty but man, that toucan portrait just rocks!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Another great interview Jules, Doug- great stuff!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    Another great interview Jules, Doug- great stuff!!!
    Great interview, Julie! And Doug, you are an inspiring photographer!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great interview, Doug...and some great images too...
    Looking forward to maybe standing next to you at Bosque
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Brown View Post
    Great interview, Julie! And Doug, you are an inspiring photographer!
    Many thanks Dan! I've enjoyed getting to know you and photograph with you over the past few years. Dan was a client on my very first Costa Rica workshop!
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

13. Thanks Dan Brown thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent interview and Doug is absolute rock star of bird photography

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Another excellent interview. Doug, I know flight is your specialty but man, that toucan portrait just rocks!!!

Thanks Daniel!
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Brendan Dozier

Costa Rica sounds awesome, Doug, and that Toucan image is outstanding! Thanks for sharing with us about your life and work, always am inspired by your images.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Parrot (?) in rains is my fav

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Juliecredit to you a great interview and well written.
    A humble and honest interview.
    A pleasure to read and learn a lot about the person behind the camera.
    The self motivation, vision and determination.
    I know realise I have a steep learning curve.
    Doug your BIF shots are outstanding.
    Regards
    Paul.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a wonderful experience to go through this candid conversation...Enjoyed every single question and answer. I am big admirer of Doug's work along with many other great photographers and wonderful people on BPN.

Doug, visited your site many times and I am hooked to it.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jules, another fine interview.

Doug, great knowing about you. Thx for all the help you've provided.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jules for another great interview!

Doug, you have been a great help and inspiration to me and I appreciate your friendship and knowledge. You are one of the photographers who make me feel like a better shooter when I am standing next to you. Thanks for all your work here on the forums! Wonderful collection of images here.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the kind words Kerry! BTW my mother-in-law had both eyes done this week and she's doing great! 20/25 in both eyes!
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent Doug, I really admire your work! very few people can get shots like this handholding a 600!
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Little late to the party ... Enjoyed your interview Doug. Thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great interview Julie and Doug. I chuckled when I read that we both started out with the AE1. I truly admire the captures you capture hand holding that monster lens of yours. Your presence on BPN as a photographer, moderator and as a man are a pleasure. Thank you for your contributions.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Truly inspiring body of work, Doug.
    I want to take pictures just like you when I grow up :)

Thanks for the great interview Julie and Doug.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Dan, that toucan was flying. Doug just accidentally cut off the lower body and tail and wings

Doug, great interview. You've taught me a ton about birds in flight and optimizing my bird images in post. I always enjoy your insightful comments and general spirit on the avian forum here. It was great to work with you and hang out the past couple of weeks!

Cheers,
    Greg Basco

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Basco View Post
    Dan, that toucan was flying. Doug just accidentally cut off the lower body and tail and wings

Doug, great interview. You've taught me a ton about birds in flight and optimizing my bird images in post. I always enjoy your insightful comments and general spirit on the avian forum here. It was great to work with you and hang out the past couple of weeks!
    Thanks Greg! I always enjoy working with you, and this year's workshop was no exception.
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px