Thread: D800 - will removing the anti aliasing filter cause moire pattern problems on our bird photos!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default D800 - will removing the anti aliasing filter cause moire pattern problems on our bird photos!

After what seems like a very long wait, some pretty firm details about the Nikon D800 are surfacing. It apparently will be produced in two version, one with the conventional anti aliasing filter, and one without. I am all for the greater sharpness removing the filter should provide, but considering how many fine repeating patterns and details we deal with on our birds, I wonder if moire patterns will become a prohibitive problem?

Thoughts appreciated!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy,

Interesting question. I see rumors of 36 megapixels and if full frame, that is 4.9 micron pixels, so not that small (Canon's 7D is 4.3 microns).

Whether Moire patterns or not will probably depend on the lens. For really sharp lenses, like super telephotos and birds, I think the answer will likely be yes, unless the f/ratio is slow (like f/16 or slower).

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    After what seems like a very long wait, some pretty firm details about the Nikon D800 are surfacing. It apparently will be produced in two version, one with the conventional anti aliasing filter, and one without. I am all for the greater sharpness removing the filter should provide, but considering how many fine repeating patterns and details we deal with on our birds, I wonder if moire patterns will become a prohibitive problem?

Thoughts appreciated!

Cheers

Randy
    My camera does not have an AA filter and moire patterns are an occasional nuisance. Quail seem to be the birds most likely to show this problem, but I've seen the same moire in California Quail photos made with a camera that has the AA filter too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Doug

Thanks for your input. What body are you using,and does it seem sharper without the filter?

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Doug

Thanks for your input. What body are you using,and does it seem sharper without the filter?

Cheers

Randy
    I'm using the Leica DMR, which has a 10 MP Kodak CCD. No option to use it with an AA filter so I can't make direct comparisons and there are numerous differences beween the Leica and the rumored D800 but I've been very pleased with the detail the DMR records. If you're in the Sacramento area and you want to see for yourself I'll be showing my prints at Gallery 2110 at 2110 K Street from January 10 to February 3.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Doug:

Thanks! I am afraid I will not be able to catch your showing, but good luck.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS