Thread: Mallard Hen

Cody Covey

Default Mallard Hen

Taken in fall with a big tree causing the reflection when the leaves were getting ready to fall off

Canon 40D
    300mm
    F4
    1/800 sec
    1000 ISO

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cody,

Greetings. Folks must be out doing holiday stuff... Nice seasonal color pallette. The pano aspect ration works well here, but if it were mine I would crop a small amount from the front and top. I wonder what a bit more dof would look like here to bring in a bit more of the body into focus. Thanks for posting...

Cheers,

-Michael-

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cody,

Love the colors, the female mallard is always a nice subject. The f/4 is alight with me assuming you needed the shutter speed - are you leveraging al-servo with moving subjects and pan as they move by the lens. Agree with taking some from the right, the brigh V-shaped reflections can draw the eye out of the frame. Was this a large crop, just curious the image is a bit soft - however I like the open aperture and high ISO to get the shutter high. I had a 40D and loved the camera and with the 300 prime nice kit for this type of work. Happy Holidays to you and the family looking forward to more from you in 2012.

Cody Covey

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Cashdollar View Post
    Cody,

Love the colors, the female mallard is always a nice subject. The f/4 is alight with me assuming you needed the shutter speed - are you leveraging al-servo with moving subjects and pan as they move by the lens. Agree with taking some from the right, the brigh V-shaped reflections can draw the eye out of the frame. Was this a large crop, just curious the image is a bit soft - however I like the open aperture and high ISO to get the shutter high. I had a 40D and loved the camera and with the 300 prime nice kit for this type of work. Happy Holidays to you and the family looking forward to more from you in 2012.
    Yeah it was really early morning light with a tree in the way of the sun as it rose. Hence the need for 1000ISO and F4, I did go ahead and crop out the right a bit and it looks much better. I am not to sure why the DOF dropped off so fast. Seems a bit drastic even for F4. I don't think it was my handholding technique because when zooming in on the eye it looks very sharp.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Those early morning colors are wonderful. I love it, but would crop a bit off the front. Very nice.
    Nancy