Thread: Northern Saw-Whet Owl

Anna Baranova

Default Northern Saw-Whet Owl

I have been banding owls in 2009. This particular owl (that we named Frank), I've placed on that branch as to release him "back into the wild". He didn't seem to want to leave and stuck around for a while. I took this photo with a regular pocket-sized digital camera (didn't have any other cameras at the time, wouldn't have been able to carry one anyways because my hands were full of owls). How do you think it turned out?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Anna

I think it turned out pretty well...especially if you were juggling owls & camera to get it.

DON

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Anna:

Welcome to BPN! This is a great place to learn and grow as a nature photographer.

Given the limitations of circumstance and equipment, you did well. Pretty clean background, captured those classic owl eyes well.

What type of post processing did you do on the image? It almost certainly could be sharpened a bit more and the flashed look toned down a bit.

When you post, be sure to include your technical details, camera, post processing, etc. so we can better critique the image.

It also helps to post at the full size of 250Kb and 800 vertical or 1024 wide, which ever is largest dimension.

If you are somewhat new to bird photography, than the Eager To Learn Forum can be a great learning place to post, as the style is a bit more laid back, but great teaching goes on there!

Again, welcome.

Cheer

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

We all need to have a little camera in our pocket for opportunities like this. He is beautiful, background and perch are great. Agree that a little post processing might improve him.