Thread: Green-crowned Brilliant 06906B

cynthia walpole

Default Green-crowned Brilliant 06906B

The male Green Crowned Brilliant (Heliodoxa jocular) displays a jewel like green iridescence over most of his body. It has a small violet patch on his throat, and a large, deeply forked blue-black tail. This hummingbird is a very fast flyer, allowing the sun's rays to be briefly reflected as he dances through the forest. It breeds in the highlands and then migrates to the lowlands of the Caribbean slopes. It feeds on Heliconia and other large flowers and, unlike other hummingbirds, often perches to feed.
    I photographed this one in the central mountains of Costa Rica, using a multiple strobe set-up, a Canon 7D and a 70-300mm lens. I would, of course, appreciate any comments, specially suggestions for improvement.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The black background looks strange but works well here. Was it a choice or an accident? Overall the image has huge drama and impact. I would loved to have seen it 800 pixels high. The image design and wing position are superb. Are the bird's feet on the flower????
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This looks to be an amazing image with lots of appeal artistically...wish it was posted 800pixels high to get a better feel for it. Composition-wise I'd be tempted to have the subject and flower lower in the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think this is simply special. Love the dark BG (how did you accomplish this...in camera or process?).

I agree....make this one bigger and it's even more of a gem.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Please make this bigger so I can really see it! It looks awesome but too small to critique properly,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fenton View Post
    I think this is simply special. Love the dark BG (how did you accomplish this...in camera or process?).
    Most likely no flash on the BKGR....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

cynthia walpole

Default thank you

Thank you all for all the good suggestions, specially to Artie, who posted twice. I'm sorry the image was too small. I can see your point, as you can't tell where the feet are, among other problems. For the time being, it's the largest I can upload.
    As far as the background, my flashes are set at a very low power (usually 1/64th), so the light tends to drop off fast. It was done on purpose, so I'm glad most of you like it, even if it is a a little 'weird'. I did post process to take out any details in the background that might have snuck in. I also appreciate the suggestion of getting the image lower in the frame.
    Muchas gracias.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW Cynth. We look forward to seeing more at 1024 wide or 800 high .

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, Cynthia. The end result is pretty cool. I don't mind black backgrounds at all for some hummingbird images, and it works here. I would be careful, though, with the choice of flowers you insert in post (if I'm wrong about the flower having been inserted in post, my apologies; the comment would then stand for images you put in the set up). This one, for instance, is pollinated by bees, and the scale looks off because in reality the male green-crowned brilliant is quite a bit bigger than this Melastoma flower.

Cheers,
    Greg Basco

cynthia walpole

Thanks for the thoughtful comments, Greg.My intention is really geared towards art, not a realistic representation. I try to pick elements that make for a strong composition.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok, Cynthia. Thanks for the clarification. It sure is fun shooting hummers in Costa Rica, isn't it?!

Cheers,
    Greg