Thread: Sunset

David Roach

Default Sunset

Attached Images Attached Images

As I was leaving Wako for the night, spotted this immature GBH gazing at the late setting sun. 1dmkIIN 400 DO ISO 800 F4@1/1328

Fabs Forns

I like your idea, David, but the mixed light doesn't work so well for me here. The face and front are lit, but the neck and side are in the shadows. Also wish the peach building (do I hate that building, almost as much as the round white one :0 ) wa not showing at the top.

There's also the branch going through his bill.

The framing of the tree is nice, maybe a few minutes later, with less light, you could have added to your exposure without fear of burning, and this could have been much better :)

Alfred Forns

You did have a good idea David !!! Just look for better light Tough under those conditions Agree with Fabs !!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too like your idea David. The lighting creates an evening mood and doesn't bother me. I think the distraction for me is the small branches near the bird's bill. I would suggest cropping a bit off the bottom to remove the bright fg branch.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

David Roach

It's funny, this was exactly what I was going for. I have an image taken just a few minutes earlier (before sun dropped onto the horizn) where the whole bird is lit evenly but this lighting really was special for me. This gives a strong feeling of low directional light at sunset. The front of the cypress trunk ,the feathery cypress leaves in front of the bird and the bird are all lit up in front as if in a spotlight (better seen at full resolution). That's what makes it for me. Like the cropping and branch through beak suggestions!! Thanks to everyone for helping this beginner.