Thread: Conowingo Dam Eagles

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Conowingo Dam Eagles

For those interested, I'm told the eagles action is picking up at the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River in Maryland.
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Lens

2. Thanks Ronald Rytter thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Have the 500mm L on order from the rental folks and will be making reservations later today for 5 thru 8 Dec., so if you see an old retired AirForce guy that doesn't appear to know what he's doing please take pity and help him, he will listen and will accept all help. Thanks in advance.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Any more information on the eagles at Conowingo. If the past is any indication the action should be picking up by now.

Linda

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was there 11/24-11/26 and it was pretty slow and from what I've heard that hasn't changed. I was there from sunup to sundown each day and got some flyover shots and 1 fishing sequence so if you are patient you can get some nice shots.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was there Saturday afternoon, and it was indeed quite slow, though there were reports of more activity earlier in the day.
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Last Friday, 12.2.11, I got up at 5:00 for the drive to Conowingo. Arrived to find 30 photographers already standing around in a pea soup fog, which didn't clear until around 10:00 or so. There were probably 15 eagles on the rocks and in the trees, but needless to say, they couldn't fish until the fog cleared, by which time the light was pretty harsh. Got mostly fly-over shots at mid-distance (perhaps 4 mature adults, the remainder 2nd, 3rd and 4th year birds with some molt; and several hundred Black Vultures). The newer turbines were open, which channeled the water out beyond the island, so that's where most of the fishing action was, too far for good shots. Only a few close approaches, so be patient as Mike suggested above. I left at mid-day to try some other spots; might have gotten more if I had stuck around, but the overhead light was pretty brutal. I've posted several shots to Avian: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...2-Bald-Eagle-2 and http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...415-Bald-Eagle.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My favorite place... Last count, last weekend was 135+ but all in the trees and far rocks. A report from the other day was the water has slowed and the eagles were active. I have been going for a few years and noted when the water is fast and high the eagles stay away. Slower water brings them closer. With all the rains of this week they might be in overflow mode this weekend.. But any day you see a Bald Eagle on the East coast is a good day...

Kurt

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was there this morning, Friday December 8th. The eagles were few and far between. There were more photographers than eagles, at least on the parking lot side. Lots of socializing; not much photography.

The towers were loaded with turkey vultures and a few eagles. A couple came to roost in the trees from time to time.

The water was extremely high and swift, as a dam 'spill' is underway. I don't know how long it is expected to continue.

The Fisherman's park is closed due to the high water. Let's hope for better conditions, soon !
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobes View Post
    I was there this morning, Friday December 8th. The eagles were few and far between. There were more photographers than eagles, at least on the parking lot side. Lots of socializing; not much photography.

The towers were loaded with turkey vultures and a few eagles. A couple came to roost in the trees from time to time.

The water was extremely high and swift, as a dam 'spill' is underway. I don't know how long it is expected to continue.

The Fisherman's park is closed due to the high water. Let's hope for better conditions, soon !
    I was afraid of that with all the rain we have had the last few days...
    Thanks for the report.
    Kurt