Thread: Bald Eagle blur #2

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bald Eagle blur #2

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another blur with sharper head... this was taken after the eagle tried to pick up the fish. For processing, cleaned-up a thin shadow of the head, used adjustment layers for saturation and selective colors and sharpened for the final web version. Hope you like it...
    Last edited by Indranil Sircar; 11-05-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indranil...another great blur.....the head does look very good here....but i still think i prefer your first posting myself

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good job with the head and that incredible eagle eye. The blur everywhere else says a lot about the action that was happening. Your timing was good in getting the spray from its talons. I think that adds a lot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Nice one Indranil, I love the water coming off the talons. Nice details- beautiful!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great, Indranil. I like the white streaks of the blurred water. Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indranil, nice blur! I wish there were a little more room on the rhs and the top (not much). I especially like the water streaming off of the talons.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Indranil, I love it!!! Very nice blur. The sharper eye really makes this one work very well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Love the bird, the spray, and the pan-blur. Wish for a bit more room around. Ten minutes for the repost. Anyone see anything different?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice repost Arthur. I am going to guess 'tonal contrast' ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good guess Andrew but that is one of the few things that I did not do .
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Looks like you lightened it a bit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's one. By pulling the curve up a bit. But lots more.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

You did work on the eye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, lots of Eye Doctor work plus a new technique for the face. And lots more.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

What technique? Do share...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Duplicate layer -- color dodge with reduced opacity

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Bishop View Post
    Duplicate layer -- color dodge with reduced opacity
    Nope. Did the same thing with NIK Color Efex Details Extractor painted in on the head to restore detail and density to the whites.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    What technique? Do share...
    Aside from the usual contrast mask on the face and bill, I toned down the yellow on the bill. Here is the new thing that I invented yesterday just for eagles. Works well with both blurs and sharp.

With a tiny brush paint a Quick Mask of the the line where the upper and lower mandible meet and the eye ring/skin. Put that on it's own layer and pull down the curve. If you compare the bills closely you will see one of the reasons why the repost looks so much sharper. And I figgered it out all on my own. Have you done that before???

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for sharing...will have to give that a try. It worked really well here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McLachlan View Post
    Thanks for sharing...will have to give that a try. It worked really well here.
    Thanks Andrew. It's rare that I figger out anything in Photoshop on my own. Most of what I know has been taught to me by Ellen Anon in the old days, by Tim Grey, tons by Robert O'Toole, and most recently by Lady D. I thank them all .

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, I just tried it on another image and it works like a charm... now it is our turn to call you the Wizard of PS even the eye doctor is very impressive. Thanks for showing us the way..

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Aside from the usual contrast mask on the face and bill, I toned down the yellow on the bill. Here is the new thing that I invented yesterday just for eagles. Works well with both blurs and sharp.

With a tiny brush paint a Quick Mask of the the line where the upper and lower mandible meet and the eye ring/skin. Put that on it's own layer and pull down the curve. If you compare the bills closely you will see one of the reasons why the repost looks so much sharper. And I figgered it out all on my own. Have you done that before???
    Have not done that but will look into doing that in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indranil and Lady D, You are most welcome.