Thread: Excellent sharpening actions (for free!)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Excellent sharpening actions (for free!)

A friend of mine, a very talented South African landscape photographer by the name of Philip Perold (who is also a programming and Photoshop guru), has developed some excellent and helpful actions for sharpening your images for web presentation. He kindly gave me permission to share the link here. I think you will find this VERY helpful.

His sharpening technique is based on Marc Adamus' theories on sharpening, with some personal tweaks based on experimentation.

He has developed 2 very distinct actions:

1. The first one is aimed at landscape photography and sharpens all the fine detail you find in a landscape image. This works very well and I find I use this most of the time for sizing and sharpening my landscape images for web use. You need to play with the opacity of the resulting "sharpened" layers yourself until you are satisfied.

2. The second one is aimed at wildlife and avian photography. Here his algorithms are programmed to only sharpen the fine details of the image that is most in focus (almost like the sharpening mask in Lightroom). Again, it creates a "sharp" layer which you need to adjust in terms of opacity until you get the result you desire. I have my own sharpening workflow for wildlife/avian images, but I do find Philip's action highly helpful in photos where the background and environment surrounding your subject is very busy and creating a selection of the subject will take a long time.

Take note there are certain image sizes pre-programmed into these actions, which aren't too hard to reverse-engineer to get to the desired size you want. For BPN purposes, the 1024px/1000px (for horizontal) and 760px (for vertical) settings should work just fine.

Feel free to download the actions and load them into your PS workflow. They should work for CS4 and CS5 and some of the newer PS Elements packages.

Also - please browse through Philip's site and galleries, he's got some great images...

ACTIONS: www.philipperold.com/links
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

2. Thanks subramanya_ck thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

And here are some more actions for good measure!!

Hougaard Malan's midtone contrast tutorial plus link to download the free action:
    http://www.hougaardmalan.com/blog/ad...t-application/

Alex Nail's saturation tutorial plus link to download the free action:
    http://www.alexnail.com/blog/tutoria...al-saturation/

And - for good measure - here is a link to Hougaard's sharpening tutorial and free actions...this is very similar to the one I posted in the sticky from Philip Perold, so either one works. I've used both with good success.
    http://www.hougaardmalan.com/blog/sh...ght-diffusion/
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

4. Thanks subramanya_ck thanked for this post