Thread: Guide Needed for Amherst & Wolfe Islands

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Guide Needed for Amherst & Wolfe Islands

Going to Canada in early December and looking for a guide who is very familiar with Amherst and Wolfe Islands. Does any one have anybody they could recommend please?

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marina, most of us bird photographers in eastern and southern Ontario are familiar with Amherst Island, and Wolfe Island to a lesser degree. Amherst is mostly concentrated on a smaller area called "Owl Woods" that is patrolled on foot, plus a few fields for Short-eared Owls whereas Wolfe Island is bigger and more of a "driving around" type of place. Wolfe is great for birding, but not so much for photography IMO...possiblities are there for sure, but most birds way out in fields or high up on utility poles.

One thing to keep in mind for Amherst is that the Owl Woods is normally closed to the public around late November / early December for deer hunting. I haven't heard anything yet for this year but if I do I'll keep you posted. Here is a great resource for Amherst...complete with pin-point driving directions to get you there

http://www.neilyworld.com/neilyworld/amherst.htm

If I'm free while you are up here it would be my pleasure to show you around...and I have a few buddies that go there more often than I do that would surely be of help too. If the owling is good this year locally there could be some alternatives if hunting is going on at Amherst. What dates are you planning on being in Canada?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marina, do you know about birdingpal.org? Worth a look. Sometimes they link you to professionals, sometimes simply to avid birders who know an area very well.