Thread: Ding Darling Update

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ding Darling Update

I was in town and went to Ding Darling yesterday almost dark and this morning when they opened.
    Every one of the main areas had lots of birds, including Rosate Spoonbills, While Pelicans, Wood Storks,
    Reddish Egrets and various other ducks and Egrets.
    The noseeums are terrible so be prepared for that. This morning was one of the better mornings
    I have ever had there.
    Just wanted to make everyone aware.

Garry

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the update Gary. My wife and I are making a trip down to Sanibel Island near the end of December and one place we will be visiting is Ding Darling. This will be my second time visiting the refuge, first December visit so I am hoping to see a different variety of birds. Definitely hoping for lots of Spoonies to be around. Any other areas around there (Sanibel) you can recommend for wildlife photography?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Clark View Post
    Thanks for the update Gary. My wife and I are making a trip down to Sanibel Island near the end of December and one place we will be visiting is Ding Darling. This will be my second time visiting the refuge, first December visit so I am hoping to see a different variety of birds. Definitely hoping for lots of Spoonies to be around. Any other areas around there (Sanibel) you can recommend for wildlife photography?
    Hi Josh:

Estero Lagoon rarely disappoints a photographer!
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Gibson View Post
    I was in town and went to Ding Darling yesterday almost dark and this morning when they opened.
    Every one of the main areas had lots of birds, including Rosate Spoonbills, While Pelicans, Wood Storks,
    Reddish Egrets and various other ducks and Egrets.
    The noseeums are terrible so be prepared for that. This morning was one of the better mornings
    I have ever had there.
    Just wanted to make everyone aware.

Garry
    Hi Gary:

Were the birds within a distance that you could get a decent picture? Sometimes they really stay pretty far away. Thanks for your help.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

5. Thanks Josh Clark thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really close, especially on the last viewing area. The closest for spoonbills I have seen.
    It was perfect this morning, they were close, the sun came up cloudless over my left shoulder
    and there was only one other photographer around.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Josh, Little Estero is great and I also like Bunche Beach, which is very close to Sanibel, about 1/2 mile on your right when you go
    over the bridge coming off the island.

8. Thanks Josh Clark thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to both of you, Marina and Garry. I'll add both of those places to the list to check out. Last time I was in Sanibel it was during the summer. I remember the area on the lefthand side as you drive in was full of Spoonies in the morning as the tide was low. They gave some great preening and BIF shots. Hoping to have the same luck this winter there as I want to get some better Spoonie shots. Either of you been to Viera Wetlands in the winter months?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Viera is a really nice place. You mostly shoot from the car. The birds are so used to cars that they
    pay no attention. I only live about 45 minutes away so its a quick jaunt for me. Also in the same
    area is the Merritt Island National Park. Merritt Island is one of my favorite places to be.

There are seldom spoonbills at Viera, though there are many other species. Merritt Island
    on the other hand usually has lots of spoonbills. Also in December, Merritt Island should
    have thousands of ducks.

Please let me know if I could be of any other help. I think I have maps of Merritt Island
    someplace on my computer I could send you.

GG

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I actually went to Merritt Island earlier this year, saw my first Wood Storks, they were panhandling on the side of the causeway bridge by some fisherman. Had some decent luck at Merritt Island, just wrong time of year. It was the middle of summer. I have been researching both places mentioned above by you and Marina. How is the lighting at Bunche? Is it typically better to shoot during the morning or evening with regards to the sun angle? I was curious about the samething with regards to the Lagoon as well. I really appreciate the help and information. As you can tell, I really like to pre-scout as much info about an area I am not familar with. I would be totally excited if I came home with some Snowy and Piping Plover shots as well as some American Oystercatchers.