Thread: Venice Rookery - Not the same

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Venice Rookery - Not the same

I know others have posted of the changes to the Venice Rookery in the past, but i got my first view of the "new scenery" this past week and ... well, it is very disappointing. It is hard to believe that the Audubon Society would not have had a more positive input into the changes.

For those of you who have been there in the past, but not recently, the NE quadrant of the outside pond embankment is almost devoid of vegetation following removal of the trees and underbrush. This opens the view of the white housing in the background to all shots taken that are beyond the immediate area of the island, both edge of island and flight shots. It will be years, even in Florida, for any background vegetation to reestablish itself. What effect this will have on the nesting birds will also be determined as they migrate there.

We will go back, for a few tight shots, but also plan to have alternate sites in the area so we don't waste too much time there.

Just to let travelers know what to expect from what use to be a prime birding site, which like the
    Alligator Farm, near Orlando, no longer is a place to want to visit regularily.
    Last edited by Mark Fuge; 10-31-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mark,

While I agree there are some disappointing aspects of the changes, and flight shots are more challenging, on the positive side, once can get great images late in the afternoon too. I have gotten many nice flight images on my trip there last April and I will go back.

A note on afternoon images: the island is further away so one needs a longer lens if trying for birds on nests compared to the east side.

I do prefer the old vegetation though. I think the general ambiance of the park setting is much lower than it used to be. It used to be wonderful in its isolation.

Roger

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fuge View Post
    I know others have posted of the changes to the Venice Rookery in the past, but i got my first view of the "new scenery" this past week and ... well, it is very disappointing. It is hard to believe that the Audubon Society would not have had a more positive input into the changes.

For those of you who have been there in the past, but not recently, the NE quadrant of the outside pond embankment is almost devoid of vegetation following removal of the trees and underbrush. This opens the view of the white housing in the background to all shots taken that are beyond the immediate area of the island, both edge of island and flight shots. It will be years, even in Florida, for any background vegetation to reestablish itself. What effect this will have on the nesting birds will also be determined as they migrate there.

We will go back, for a few tight shots, but also plan to have alternate sites in the area so we don't waste too much time there.

Just to let travelers know what to expect from what use to be a prime birding site, which like the
    Alligator Farm, near Orlando, no longer is a place to want to visit regularily.
    Hi Mark:

Thank you for providing info about the Venice Rookery. While it sure looks quite a bit different, there is still some very good photography to be had there IMHO. It sure isn't like before though, you are right about that, but I was quite pleased with some of my chicks in nests captures from last seasons.

I think the Audubon Society actually made the decisions about the changes at Venice Rookery. Note quite sure how they arrived at these decisions though. From what I understand, their goal was to remove as much non-native vegetation as possible. I just don't understand why they didn't do more re-planting.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Scarr View Post

From what I understand, their goal was to remove as much non-native vegetation as possible. I just don't understand why they didn't do more re-planting.
    Marina,
    I have read that the invasive was a brazilion pepper and that the island is covered in that same invasive. So by not ripping out the invasive on the island, the area is destined for it to come back.

Agree about the replanting. Perhaps money? Maybe with some donations?

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Are there any images before and after? Also, has this area been impacted by the deep water horizon disaster?

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Korman View Post
    Are there any images before and after? Also, has this area been impacted by the deep water horizon disaster?
    A google search for Venice rookery should turn up a lot. This is an inland lake and was not impacted by the oil spill.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would say the good news about this is in Florida when these non-native plants are removed
    other plants will quickly fill in. If you haven't lived here, the growth of trees and shrubs is amazing.

I would imagine in a couple of years or so, the areas that look pretty nude will be covered in plants, hopefully
    more native ones and not pepper trees.

Robert Amoruso

Brazilian Pepper Trees where surrounding the impoundment and are on the island. Removal is a priority task here in Florida as birds eat the berries and deposit the seeds resulting in even more infestation. The plants give off a toxin in the soil causing other native plants not to be able to grow in their proximity.

Brazilian Pepper Trees are an exotic invasive in Florida - though not the best thing photographic wise at this sight short term - long term it is a good decision.