Thank You Posts

Default Canon 1Dx launched-specs

Canon EOS-1D X
    • Full Frame
    • 18.1MP
    • Dual DIGIC 5+ – 17 Times The Processing Power of DIGIC 4
    • ISO 100-51200 Native
    • 100,000 Pixel RGB Metering Sensor
    • EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis)
    • 61 Point AF
    • 21 f/5.6 Cross Type Sensors
    • 20 f/4 Cross Type Sensors
    • 5 f/2.8 Cross Type Senors
    • EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking & Recognition Auto Focus)
    • 12 Frames Per Second
    • 14 Frames Per Second JPG Only
    • 400,000 Shot Rated Shutter
    • Ethernet Connection
    • March Availability

Threads
    Thank You Posts

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/10/c...press-release/
    Too early to tell, but I see some big pluses AND big minuses for our little contingency.
    david pugsley PHOTOGRAPHY
    http://www.davidpugsleyphoto.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_...01e024803b812e

A vertical multi-controller switch. Yes, please!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Intelligent subject analysis

lol can it tell the difference between a harrier and a hawk ?

This marks the end of APS-H sensors BTW.
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 10-18-2011 at 12:28 AM.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken Watkins

Most interesting, glad the search for more and more MP has seemingly ceased.

I suppose I will have to do some work now, to pay for it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's funny though, I have read at least a dozen...if not MORE different articles, releases, announcements etc on the 1D X, and I still haven't been able to find out any information on the size of the Buffer.

I realize that's not the most important feature, but it would still be nice to know what it is.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Certainly looks the part on paper! Excited to see the low-light IQ...and about upcoming ''competitor" announcements...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I´m very unhappy with the end of the APS-H sensors, 1,3X Crop in wildlife the distance to the subject can make a big diference...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

No longer a rumor (http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer?pageKeyCode=57): a full frame landscape and wildlife (12 fps) in one body!

If you now have the 7D and the 5D2, which do you keep for the backup?

I lean to my 5D2.
    Last edited by Jay Gould; 10-18-2011 at 05:26 AM.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    If this is true, you then have a full frame landscape and wildlife (12 fps) in one body!

If you now have the 7D and the 5D2, which do you keep for the backup?

I lean to my 5D2.
    The new 1Dx will be great for landscape photography, and for wildlife photography if you´l be able to get close, like photographing in a hide, but if you can´t get close to your subject it´s not good, unless you make some big crops, but you will not be able to enter in some wildlife photography contests.

In my case, I tried to shot the picture best way possible without the need of post processing, sometimes a litle crop and minor adjustments like sharpness after resised, with a full frame body my 600mm f/4 is a true 600mm, with a MK IV is a 780mm and with a 7D a 960mm.
    I like to shoot birds in the water, and in Portugal (think Europe in general), birds don't let you get close, so the extra mm are welcome...

For now I don't do landscape, so I have a 7D, but I was thinking in buying a MK IV (as soon as I had the money for it), I would lose some mm but I would gain in quality (noise, focusing speed, frames per second...), I would always prefer a APS-H, even if I needed to had a 5D II in backup for landscape.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Humberto Ramos View Post
    The new 1Dx will be great for landscape photography, and for wildlife photography if you´l be able to get close, like photographing in a hide, but if you can´t get close to your subject it´s not good, unless you make some big crops, but you will not be able to enter in some wildlife photography contests.

.........Oh please
    So I guess all of us using FF Nikon DSLR's @ ONLY 12MP for nature/wildlife photography should stop taking images and entering comps.
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 10-18-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In my case, I tried to shot the picture best way possible without the need of post processing, sometimes a litle crop and minor adjustments like sharpness after resised, with a full frame body my 600mm f/4 is a true 600mm, with a MK IV is a 780mm and with a 7D a 960mm.
    I like to shoot birds in the water, and in Portugal (think Europe in general), birds don't let you get close, so the extra mm are welcome...

For now I don't do landscape, so I have a 7D, but I was thinking in buying a MK IV (as soon as I had the money for it), I would lose some mm but I would gain in quality (noise, focusing speed, frames per second...), I would always prefer a APS-H, even if I needed to had a 5D II in backup for landscape.
    Humberto,
    Crop factor has nothing too do with telephoto reach. The pixels on subject is a function of true focal length and pixel size. Cropped sensors have traditionally had smaller pixels. More information at: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/telephoto_reach/

For reference, see Figure 2 on the above web page. The new 1DX will produce images between that of the 1D Mark II and 5D Mark II on that figure (but closer to the 5DII). This is a disappointment to me. If one wants more telephoto reach, which is common among bird photographers, one needs a sensor with smaller pixels. I was hoping Canon would have come out with a sensor with about 5-micron pixels (between the 1DIV and 7D), so about 30 megapixels full frame with improved efficiency so the light per pixel was similar to that in the 1DIV.

The announcement also says nothing about AF at f/8. In fact, the announcement is ambiguous regarding f/ratio: say maximum aperture then say f/ratio. If they mean maximum f-number, then there is no f/8 AF.

No specification of buffer size.

Does anyone ever use ISO 102,400 on the 1DIV and think the image quality is ok? 204,800 is a joke. The 1DIV collects only 54 photons per pixel at ISO 102400, and that is max; an 18% gray level would be only about 10 photons! With slightly larger pixels in the 1DX, ISO 204800 will be similar--something for marketing to brag about.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Clark; 10-18-2011 at 08:36 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Molloy View Post
    .........Oh please
    So I guess all of us using FF Nikon DSLR's @ ONLY 12MP for nature/wildlife photography should stop taking images and entering comps.
    Marc, I didn't say it's not possible, I mean that in the kind of birds photos I like and I'm use to do, its a big advantage to have more mm...

If you can do exacly the same using a full frame camera, I'm glad for you, but we guys in canon had the choise between 3 images sensor...

You are saying that all people with mk IV and Mk III should stayed with the 1Ds III...

If you had a nikon with a smaller sensor with the same specs or even better specs than a nikon fullframe, would you buy the fullframe if you didn´t photograph landscapes? I bet you wouldn't...

I remember Arthur Morris to say, buy the longest focal lengh you afford even with a smaller aperture, when you choose to buy a APS-C or a APS-H you are also doing that... If a had a 7D with the same specs and quality of a 1D MK IV, I woul buy the 7D, because of 1,6X crop factor, no doubt...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post
    Humberto,
    Crop factor has nothing too do with telephoto reach. The pixels on subject is a function of true focal length and pixel size. Cropped sensors have traditionally had smaller pixels. More information at: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/telephoto_reach/

For reference, see Figure 2 on the above web page. The new 1DX will produce images between that of the 1D Mark II and 5D Mark II on that figure (but closer to the 5DII). This is a disappointment to me. If one wants more telephoto reach, which is common among bird photographers, one needs a sensor with smaller pixels. I was hoping Canon would have come out with a sensor with about 5-micron pixels (between the 1DIV and 7D), so about 30 megapixels full frame with improved efficiency so the light per pixel was similar to that in the 1DIV.

The announcement also says nothing about AF at f/8. In fact, the announcement is ambiguous regarding f/ratio: say maximum aperture then say f/ratio. If they mean maximum f-number, then there is no f/8 AF.

Does anyone ever use ISO 102,400 on the 1DIV and think the image quality is ok? 204,800 is a joke. The 1DIV collects only 54 photons per pixel at ISO 102400, and that is max; an 18% gray level would be only about 10 photons! With slightly larger pixels in the 1DX, ISO 204800 will be similar--something for marketing to brag about.

Roger
    I Agree with you Clark,
    But if you want the bird to have the same space in the picture without croping the image, with a full frame camera you need to be closer to the bird, so APS-H would not have the same quality tahn fullframe, but without croping would have more reach...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The $6800 MSLP at release is steep considering it will be the sole "pro" Canon body. I wonder if they will eventually do a 1Dx "lite" like Nikon did with the D700 versus the D3s?

BTW on one of the "boards" there was talk of loss of AF with f8 lenses? Can anyone confirm this?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The "Multiple Exposure Modes" sounds quite interesting...at least on paper.
    Last edited by Daniel Cadieux; 10-18-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am not sure if I agree with you. A crop sensor does not have extra "mm" it is all about the pixel size. I have produced many many BIF shots with the FF 5D2 and entered in many contests as well. Thousands of award-winning world-class photos have been produced by Nikon cameras. The most competent Nikon photographers use the FF cameras as well. Some people think bird photography is like sitting there with a telescope and shooting a far bird then farming the pixels. Wrong IMHO. If you can't get close to produce a good quality image forget it and try another day

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    The $6800 MSLP at release is steep considering it will be the sole "pro" Canon body. I wonder if they will eventually do a 1Dx "lite" like Nikon did with the D700 versus the D3s?

BTW on one of the "boards" there was talk of loss of AF with f8 lenses? Can anyone confirm this?
    I think the lite one will be 5DMKIII.

It seems that they dropped AF with f/8 as it does not meet the precision specs of the new system.

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here's a great link to some very detailed info on the 1Dx. Unfortunately it doesn't answer the question about f/8 AF. I have heard about some website that is quoting Canon as saying that f/8 AF is not possible with the 1Dx. I don't do a lot of photography with my 2x, but I'd hate to lose the ability to AF.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    Here's a great link to some very detailed info on the 1Dx. Unfortunately it doesn't answer the question about f/8 AF. I have heard about some website that is quoting Canon as saying that f/8 AF is not possible with the 1Dx. I don't do a lot of photography with my 2x, but I'd hate to lose the ability to AF.
    See the thread above. I am working on getting an answer to several frequently asked questions.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

See pane 6 here for some dramatic news....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, I noticed a slight TYPO in your opening paragraph about the specs. (Which I'm sure you've already been notified about, and have corrected.)

"...fast shooting up to 12 fps, an 8-Megapixel full-frame CMOS Sensor, full HD video recording and much more." Should be an 18-Megapixel full frame CMOS Sensor.

No biggie of course, we all know what it is, and not meaning to nit pick, just thought I'd let you know.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hurst View Post
    Artie, I noticed a slight TYPO in your opening paragraph about the specs. (Which I'm sure you've already been notified about, and have corrected.)

"...fast shooting up to 12 fps, an 8-Megapixel full-frame CMOS Sensor, full HD video recording and much more." Should be an 18-Megapixel full frame CMOS Sensor.

No biggie of course, we all know what it is, and not meaning to nit pick, just thought I'd let you know.
    I always love to know. Here or on the blog? (Peter Kes fixed it on the blog thanks to you.)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    See pane 6 here for some dramatic news....
    I would say dramatic was an understatement Artie for bird photographers at least! Wow.

Having said this, it's clear which sector of the market is driving all this, and it's not bird photographers for sure. Of course it's the fields of white and (more and more) black lenses at Formula 1 races and premier league soccer/football matches, and olympics which are. And what do those gals and guys need? Speed? -yes. 32mp? -no; many are shooting a picture which might appear in tomorrow's newspaper so who needs 32mp when 3mp would do just fine for crappy half-tone images? AF at f8?- probably not as they are using whatever bare prime lens does the trick at the particular venue, and these are f5.6 (more typically f4 or f2.8) or wider lenses.
    Last edited by John Chardine; 10-18-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, I agree. With a full frame camera TCs are vital. Being unable to use the 2X III TC on any of the f/4 super-telephotos and being unable to use the 1.4XIII TC on the 800 is just brutal.... Not so bad for sports folks who do not have as great a need for TCs as wildlife and especially bird photographers.... Sometimes is baffles me when new gear is introduced as a total surprise....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I always love to know. Here or on the blog? (Peter Kes fixed it on the blog thanks to you.)
    It's in the first paragraph you wrote in the specs in the link in this:

See pane 6 here for some dramatic news...

Oh, and just glad to help. (In reference to your blog being corrected.)
    Last edited by Jason Hurst; 10-18-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Got it Thanks again Jason; much appreciated. Always. And though I am careful I write so much that stuff sneaks by on a regular basis. It is now fixed (everywhere I think...)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    I am not sure if I agree with you. A crop sensor does not have extra "mm" it is all about the pixel size. I have produced many many BIF shots with the FF 5D2 and entered in many contests as well. Thousands of award-winning world-class photos have been produced by Nikon cameras. The most competent Nikon photographers use the FF cameras as well. Some people think bird photography is like sitting there with a telescope and shooting a far bird then farming the pixels. Wrong IMHO. If you can't get close to produce a good quality image forget it and try another day
    Arash, I'm nor saying that there aren't many great photographers shooting full frame, I mean that in Canon we had that choose...and a good choose in my opinion...

Again, not talking about quality, and pixel size, for getting the same image without cropping, with full frame you need to get closer... so you have in this case less millimeters...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Got it Thanks again Jason; much appreciated. Always. And though I am careful I write so much that stuff sneaks by on a regular basis. It is now fixed (everywhere I think...)
    Oh my pleasure, and you're most welcome. No biggie of course. I'm surprised that with as much as you do write, there aren't a lot more incidents. You really do a great job!

BTW, according to the specs list @ Canon USA, the size of the buffer is still unknown. (or at least unannounced)

From the specs list @ Canon USA:

Maximum Burst
    The maximum burst during continuous shooting is as follows:
    JPEG Large: Approx: TBA
    UDMA CF Card: Approx: TBA
    RAW: Approx: TBA
    UDMA 7 CF Card: Approx. TBA

Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Humberto Ramos;731848]You are saying that all people with mk IV and Mk III should stayed with the 1Ds III...QUOTE]

NO...you just said that.
    I made no mention of Canon.
    I'm happy to stick with my 12MP FF Nikon, thanks.
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 10-18-2011 at 05:17 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A new Canon pro body that does not AF at F8 is ridiculous. This feature is one of the features that brought me, years ago, to the 1D series to begin with. So, my 500 F4 and 2 X TC will not AF!!! Shame on you Canon!! I'll keep my MK4 and $6800 thank you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Gang,

Just thought you would like to know Canon is listening to what we have to say. I am very hopeful their will be a soulution, perhaps via a CF before release. The 1DX has Canon's most advanced AF to date, lowest noise, fastest processing, and more. I am looking forward to its release. AF aquisition and tracking should prove stellar.

Chas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm with Arash on the sensor size issue. Folks are doing too much complaining about "needing to crop". What matters are pixels on subject and quality of the pixels. How many folks felt pixel starved with a 1D-III? Well, that was 10.1 MP, the 1D X has 10.65 within the APS-H box. If you're upset, try thinking of the 1D X as a 10.6 MP APS-H with extra canvas all around to protect you against accidentally framing too tight, or missing those BIF wingtips. So what if you have to crop in post? I almost always do anyway to fit standard paper or what I think is best for the image. Unless you're using a zoom (or your feet) the chances are near zero that the captured size of the subject is "perfect" anyway. If the light is good and you want a crop sensor and lot of pixels, use a 7D. Every choice is a compromise, and it seems to me Canon made a lot of good choices.

Ken Watkins

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lillich View Post
    I'm with Arash on the sensor size issue. Folks are doing too much complaining about "needing to crop". What matters are pixels on subject and quality of the pixels. How many folks felt pixel starved with a 1D-III? Well, that was 10.1 MP, the 1D X has 10.65 within the APS-H box. If you're upset, try thinking of the 1D X as a 10.6 MP APS-H with extra canvas all around to protect you against accidentally framing too tight, or missing those BIF wingtips. So what if you have to crop in post? I almost always do anyway to fit standard paper or what I think is best for the image. Unless you're using a zoom (or your feet) the chances are near zero that the captured size of the subject is "perfect" anyway. If the light is good and you want a crop sensor and lot of pixels, use a 7D. Every choice is a compromise, and it seems to me Canon made a lot of good choices.
    Alan,

I cannot disagree with your great summary of the situation, I never unless absolutely necessary a multiplier as I always feel that putting a relatively cheap converter onto a very expensive lens must compromise the quality. I kow many people can get pin sharp images in this way, but I cannot, this probably results from the fact that 90% of my images are hand-held.

Whatever the image size it is the quality that counts, and I am sure it will be an improvement as all other new models have been,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's the way to explain it Alan. Well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken- the Canon converters are superb lenses and not cheap. They produce fantastic results with the Canon super-teles.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I shoot the same with a 1.3x crop factor or full frame, filling the frame as necessary and/or possible to compose the best in-camera image. A smaller subject does not necessarily mean a poor image. Composition is key.
    I try to utilize all the pixels provided. BTW- many times it is better to shoot without adding converters or going to the 2x as this requires slower shutter speeds or increased ISO. I think the new camera is taking care of the ISO problem.
    How did you all get along before without shooting 1000 plus focal length? Shooting small subjects at relatively close distance with longer focal length makes sense. Shooting subjects at great distance with longer focal length only leads to image degradation.

Chas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Glatzer View Post
    I shoot the same with a 1.3x crop factor or full frame, filling the frame as necessary and/or possible to compose the best in-camera image. A smaller subject does not necessarily mean a poor image. Composition is key.
    I try to utilize all the pixels provided. BTW- many times it is better to shoot without adding converters or going to the 2x as this requires slower shutter speeds or increased ISO. I think the new camera is taking care of the ISO problem.
    How did you all get along before without shooting 1000 plus focal length? Shooting small subjects at relatively close distance with longer focal length makes sense. Shooting subjects at great distance with longer focal length only leads to image degradation.

Chas
    All true but I have created 100s of images with the 500 and the 600 f/4 and the 2X TC and with the 800mm and the 1.4X TC that I have sold. And that have made me very happy. (The images and the check$). Dropping back from 29X and 31X to 16X with the full frame and the 800 is a big step backwards for me.

Let's hope that there is a software fix coming.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Glatzer View Post
    How did you all get along before without shooting 1000 plus focal length? Shooting small subjects at relatively close distance with longer focal length makes sense. Shooting subjects at great distance with longer focal length only leads to image degradation. Chas
    I did OK with film for 19 years but digital brought with it amazing capabilities for creating tight head portraits without disturbing the subjects. I agree that trying to photograph large subject from half a mile away is dumb dumb but for close work 29X magnification (800mm/MIV/1.4X II TC) works great for me. Why take a step backwards???

I am hoping that nobody sees the image quality here (at f/11) as degraded....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Could digiscoping be the way to go for such extreme magnifications, i.e. using a DSLR attached to a fieldscope? I've often wondered if professional bird photographers have considered this route over telephoto lenses.
    Last edited by Chris Korman; 10-19-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Korman View Post
    Could digiscoping be the way to go for such extreme magnifications, i.e. using a DSLR attached to a fieldscope? I've often wondered if professional bird photographers have considered this route over telephoto lenses.
    Not if you want high quality files....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dropping back from 29X and 31X to 16X with the full frame and the 800 is a big step backwards for me.
    Does anyone know at this point if dropping back in that manner is the whole story? Maybe I should change my name to PollyAlan, but I'm inclined to wait for the body to ship and see what it does.

- Nikon documentation says autofocus works up to f/5.6, but my understanding is that the D3 bodies will still try to AF at f/8. Maybe the 1D X will too.
    - Could LiveView have been used for the TV? You'll get better focus, and with the 1D X less vibration from the electronic first curtain.
    - How would a 7D have performed at the same time without a TC?
    - Is the web image a 100% crop or the whole image? I had the impression from the BAA blog posting that it is the whole image. Since this looks great at a measly 0.6 MP on the web, would the 10.65 MP of the 1D X APS-H box be so terrible?

OK, sure more is better all else equal. But we don't know what cost or engineering issues there might be related to the other changes in the AF sensor that led Canon to back off from an f/8 promise. If the overall AF system is a real improvement, won't that be an acceptable tradeoff for using other techniques for the ultra long shots?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If anyone is interested, I just posted some info and thoughts on the 1D x on my blog.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In an Icelandic forum about the new canon EOS-1D X camera an employee at a local Canon dealer shop said:

"The reason that the camera can no longer focus at f / 8 is that the autofocus screen/mirror is no longer convex, but flat. This was done for more focus stability.”

I hope that I have made the translation understandable. If this is right it means that the capability for f / 8 focus have been sacrificed for more precise and stable focus for larger apertures. If I understand this right it also means that this is a hardware and not a software issue.

Ken Watkins

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    Ken- the Canon converters are superb lenses and not cheap. They produce fantastic results with the Canon super-teles.
    John,

By saying relatively cheap, I meant to compare it to the price of the lens in my case a 500mm. I have the new 1.4 but only use it when it is really necessary.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    If anyone is interested, I just posted some info and thoughts on the 1D x on my blog.
    Very good assessments. If the AF is really better than the MK4 for flight this is my next body as well

BTW, I still don't like the rear LCD, it is stupid and doesn't show any useful info. They missed this one. It is also missing an electronic horizon indicator.
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 10-20-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You may have a point there Alan. I know my 1DIV would attempt to AF with the 400/5.6 and 2x tc attached just for fun (f11). With lots of light it would actually manage it. However, Canon may have turned AF off altogether with an f8 lens. You are right, best to wait and see.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alan,

re:

Does anyone know at this point if dropping back in that manner is the whole story? Maybe I should change my name to PollyAlan, but I'm inclined to wait for the body to ship and see what it does.

Agree in part.

- Nikon documentation says autofocus works up to f/5.6, but my understanding is that the D3 bodies will still try to AF at f/8. Maybe the 1D X will too.

Don't know but not likely.

- Could LiveView have been used for the TV? You'll get better focus, and with the 1D X less vibration from the electronic first curtain.

No. You need to be on a tripod to use Live View/Live Mode AF. And even it good light it is slow.... And it is One-Shot AF not AI Servo so if the head position changes it will not work; it is only good for subjects that do not move....

- How would a 7D have performed at the same time without a TC?

Fine. But I far prefer my MIV images to my 7D images.

- Is the web image a 100% crop or the whole image?

Full frame original capture.

I had the impression from the BAA blog posting that it is the whole image. Since this looks great at a measly 0.6 MP on the web, would the 10.65 MP of the 1D X APS-H box be so terrible?

Seriously, I am not very good at the pixel math. I do know that I like images from cameras with larger sizes (in microns) better than those from cameras with smaller sized pixels...

OK, sure more is better all else equal. But we don't know what cost or engineering issues there might be related to the other changes in the AF sensor that led Canon to back off from an f/8 promise.

There is a note in one of these threads that states that a software fix will not be possible.

If the overall AF system is a real improvement, won't that be an acceptable tradeoff for using other techniques for the ultra long shots?

The "ultra long shots" is a misconception. Probably more than 95% of all the images that I made with the 500 and the 600 and the a 2X TC and the 800 and the 1.4X TC were of birds within 75 feet, and probably half of those were withing 40 feet.

See you and Pat in Bosque .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post
    Humberto,

Roger
    Your telephoto reach article linked above, Roger, is very informative. Much fun.

The 5dm2 appears to produce the best color compared to the other cameras represented. The 7d offers very impressive detail.

Perhaps in a future update to the article you can note the rotations made, for illustrative purposes, to your images.

Certainly never in our lifetimes will we have the ability to identify one of the lunar landers in a pixel.

I too was anticipating 30+ megapixels in the next flagship camera from Canon. Very disappointing news.

It is certainly on the drawing board, however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast