Thread: My first post and my first hawfinch

Xander Sales

Default My first post and my first hawfinch

My first post as a new participant and it is my first hawfinch.
    I have waited the whole summer. I have seen him a lot, but never got a good shot! And now finally I got one... I'm very happy!
    I made this photo in park "De Hoge Veluwe". There is a small bird-cabin which for photographers and of course birds will visit the cabin.
    You can put some food to get several birds at site, but the hawfinch will sometimes come... only to drink in a small pool.

So you have to be lucky and quit, because the hawfinch is a very shy bird.

f/4.0
    300 mm
    450 mm
    1/80
    NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D90
    03-09-2011
    10:11:26

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Leroy:

A big welcome to BPN! This is a great place to learn and grow as a bird photographer. Be sure to comment on other folks images as well, it really helps you train your eye, and helps build the community for everyone.

He is a subtle but attractive bird, with a bit of a shy expression here.
    Pleasant background. The shoulder looks a bit sharper than the eye, I suspect your plane of focus was anterior to the eye.

With that shutter speed, not a lot of aperture flexibility to go to smaller f/stop. I might have tried to bump the ISO a bit to allow a bit more DOF.

I think the image could go a bit brighter (1/3 of stop or so). If you have it, a bit more room at the top would be nice.

Welcome to BPN, and look forward to more postings.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Xander Sales

Thanx for the comment and welcome...

Ehhh, the bird was to close... the drinking pool is just in front of the cabin. The hawfinch was very close and he is big... so, I don't have more room...
    I always try to focus at the eye, but most of the birds are very fast and you'll no more than a second to shoot...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A big welcome to BPN Leroy, and hope you enjoy your journey. Good points from Randy, and to add that a little more space on top will work. Not sure if your lens was fixed, if so, moving back to frame your subject with enough space all round. In that way, you can always crop to suit. Remember to comment on other images too.

Xander Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Bowie View Post
    A big welcome to BPN Leroy, and hope you enjoy your journey. Good points from Randy, and to add that a little more space on top will work. Not sure if your lens was fixed, if so, moving back to frame your subject with enough space all round. In that way, you can always crop to suit. Remember to comment on other images too.
    Thanx... I use a Nikon 300 mm f/4 with or without a 1.4x converter.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Leroy!

I like your Hawfinch - they are terrific little birds - and as you say, very shy.
    Agree that it is a little tight in the frame and could be brighter to bring out the colours better. But it is a nice pose and good head angle, and looks sharp enough for me.
    I didn't know there was a hide for bird photography in the Hoge Veluwe - I'll have to find out where it is for next time I am there!

Gerald

Xander Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Kelberg View Post
    Hi Leroy!

I like your Hawfinch - they are terrific little birds - and as you say, very shy.
    Agree that it is a little tight in the frame and could be brighter to bring out the colours better. But it is a nice pose and good head angle, and looks sharp enough for me.
    I didn't know there was a hide for bird photography in the Hoge Veluwe - I'll have to find out where it is for next time I am there!

Gerald
    If you come in winter to find the winterbirds, we could meet in the park at a saturday... You sent me a PM if you want too!

I post new photo... it is a little brighter than the first!

Last edited by Xander Sales; 10-13-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN Leroy! I think you've already gotten excellent advice above. Just wanted to say hi!
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Leroy,

A warm welcome to the community. Loved the way you captured the beauty of this bird.
    Apart from what seniors already said it well.

I would sure give a try to do Vertical Composition to give the bird little more prominent by reducing the power of the perch.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Xander, I love the repost (why is everyone calling you Leroy?). Randy covered it really well. Might try a little selective sharpening on the face and eye -- looks like the IQ would support it. Welcome to the forum.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Real nice shot. Great colorful background and very nice pose. Re post is a lot better.
    Well done and welcome.