Thread: Harrier

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Harrier

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a northern harrier from the Liberty Marsh section of the Wallkill River NWR. Mk IV, 800 f5.6, iso 800, 1/1600, f6.3 shot manual from tripod/wimberley. I missed the focus on the approach, but as she passed she gave me a nice look back.

Herb

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great golden light Herb. I wish for a better body angle but the look back was nice. I wonder about a CW rotation?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Certainly is golden light Herb, which in turn is cast nicely all over the near side of the harrier. I like how the lower BG compliments the colour of the near wing, and the upper BG compliments the far wing. Having said all that, I feel the harrier is too far past you. Pity.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, it's a bit far past for a traditional shot but that look back saves the image for me. That, combined with the terrific warm lighting and complimentary BG colours brings this all together. Detail is not perfect but your processing really brings focus to the eye, where it really matters.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet light and excellent sharpness. It's not easy to lock focus on raptors flying at you against a varied BG. A little luck and a lot of practice is all it takes!
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Getting on this puppy while it was 20 yards to the right would have been the ticket. I do like the look back but as is there are lots of problems; the dark areas of BKGR are distracting; and that shadow on the far wing bugs me. That said it is a difficult bird to photograph and a difficult situation to boot....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for all of the comments. I understand it's shooting in difficult conditions, but I'll continue to try and make it happen with lots of hours and practice ahead of me.